4 Door car under 20k (Or Lease 3-400/month) Ideas?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
A lease is good for someone who wants a different vehicle every two years or three. It is also good for th person that uses a vehicle for work transportation only and know what kind of miles they will be putting on a vehicle yearly.

I would never put money down on a lease thou. It has its risks, but keep in mind, the O.P. said he has leased before, so he knows what to expect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BlueSnake01

Established Member
A lease is good for someone who wants a different vehicle every two years or three. It is also good for th person that uses a vehicle for work transportation only and know what kind of miles they will be putting on a vehicle yearly.

I would never put money down on a lease thou. It has its risks, but keep in mind, the O.P. said he has leased before, so he knows what to expect.

This! I believe it was 13Cobra who posted about leasing 2 cars (one after the other loan expires) being cheaper than paying for one new car throughout the loan. Sure the car you bought new becomes yours but after the depreciation takes a hit and how much your car is worth after the loan is finished, do you really gain much on it?

Anyways, my take on it, my wife is not car savvey and im not with her 100% of the time to diagnose a problem she might have on the car. Being that its also our traveling car not wanting to deal with any of the issues that may or may not get, I think its fine for what we need it in our case. Also agree on not putting downpayment on a leased car. If you started the lease and get in an accident 2 months later and its totaled, your downpayment is completely lost.

ModMike1572

Established Member
I'll never understand the plan to lease something when you can buy and own a car outright A LOT sooner.

Lease to buy is even dumber since you about double your payment period on it. Keep purchase price lower, pay off loan in couple of years and be thankful to NOT spend $400+ a month...especially since there a ton of options out there in a 4 door DD under $20K.

25000 @ 5% and 72mo is $405/mo.
15000 @ 5% and 60mo is $283/mo.

If you can/willing to spend $400/mo then find a 15K car at 5% and 60mo but still do $400/mo on it and pay off REAL fast. You are adding an additional ~$100/mo to pay it off.

Years ago I came across a great thread on here from someone breaking down the differences between leasing and buying and who it made sense for.

Unless you plan on keeping the car for 5 years minimum (more like 10), then you're wasting your time buying IMO. You would have to put a significant amount of cash down on a used car to not be upside down on the damn thing. Just the way it goes.

Honestly what I'm considering is after both mustangs get sold off, jumping on leasetrader or swapalease and jumping into someone's lease they want to get rid of with no down payment whatsoever for 12-36 months, and then after that I have the freedom to get whatever I want without having to worry about selling anything or being upside down on the car. Not to mention the added benefit of not having to worry about any repairs and in some cases no maintenence (My 2013 Dodge Ram 5.7 Liter for 299/month and oil changes included - was a damn awesome deal for a 400+ HP truck that can tow 10,000 LBS) and the entire payment being a write off through my business as well.

There would have to be a really bad ass used car for under 20k that would hold its value and I could see myself keeping for 5 years for me to go that route, and from what Im seeing Im not crazy about anything in that price range.

Those AMG's get me going, but I couldnt even think about that maintenence/repair nightmare that everyone tells me about.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'd honestly rather lease than buy but I'm open to anything.

It seems as far as leasing in my price range, there are some really nice luxury cars you can get into, just most if not all of them are lacking in the power department aside from the Charger. I've just never been crazy about the charger but I wouldnt mind heading to Dodge and seeing a new one in person and driving it.

I havent looked into the Chevy SS at all, let me look and see what they lease for..

As far as size, doesnt really matter honestly.

Are you still interested in performance at all? A Subaru WRX STi could probably be leased for pretty cheap. Also look into the Subaru Forester XT Touring.

On the luxury front, I'd say have a look at the Audi S3. You should be able to lease that one within your budget. It's been receiving rave reviews. Anything else in the luxury segment within your budget is going to be slow and probably stripped down.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
when it comes to the kia/hyundai cars, be careful of the theta II 2.0/2.4 engines. they had a huge recall on those engines from 2011-2014 due to bad machining during manufacturing. metal shavings were left in the engine and they were failing horribly. the 2011-2012s were the most affected. compressed air was used to clean the crank after machining in the early models and they switched to a wet clean process in 2012 for the 2013-14s. there are far less incidents of failure for those engines but it may still be possible depending on production date.

an engineer came forward and said that hyundai was well aware of the problem, as they denied it to the public. the ntsha forced them to do a recall.

heres a link to a 200+ page thread (2100+ posts) on the hyundai forums and a link to a car&driver story about it.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-20...necting-rod-wear-may-result-engine-stall.html

http://blog.caranddriver.com/hyunda.../?src=nl&mag=cdb&list=nl_dvr_news&date=041017

ModMike1572

Established Member
Are you still interested in performance at all? A Subaru WRX STi could probably be leased for pretty cheap. Also look into the Subaru Forester XT Touring.

On the luxury front, I'd say have a look at the Audi S3. You should be able to lease that one within your budget. It's been receiving rave reviews. Anything else in the luxury segment within your budget is going to be slow and probably stripped down.

Absolutely interested in performance. I dont like anything from Subaru at all. Not sure why, just have never been a fan of them.

The Audi A3 is certainly near the top of the list.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
A couple pics with the windows tinted. Made a big difference. Also, our Edge has auto dimming head lamps, driver side mirror and rear view miirror.
51aebfd122ab19a51fb8ba56bda02563.jpg
efcf4e5fe110014a3ced0891ecd762d8.jpg

Nice, below is a bad picture of my SHO, has massaging seats, navigation, backup camera and a slew of other options. Bought it used 26k miles for $23k.

16299169_10158095830950123_6371758592870946567_n_zpspknpi5vp.jpg

Never_Enough

Established Member
I feel like I need to toss in a vote for the Mazdaspeed6. This is my 2nd one & both have been dead nuts reliable & fun. I don't keep cars long, as in 2 years is a stretch for me. I have had this MS6 for over 4 years and no plans to get rid of it. In fact, I'm still playing with it.

Zodiac

Established Member

The residuals suck on both the S3 and STI, they simply do not lease well. A good deal on an S3 is gonna be like $450+.

Use the forums at leasehackr to find good deals that are possible. There and edmunds is great to learn what the money factor and residuals are on vehicles. That's how I grabbed my Charger Scat Pack for $385/month taxes included and only 1st months payment due at signing.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
The residuals suck on both the S3 and STI, they simply do not lease well. A good deal on an S3 is gonna be like $450+.

Use the forums at leasehackr to find good deals that are possible. There and edmunds is great to learn what the money factor and residuals are on vehicles. That's how I grabbed my Charger Scat Pack for $385/month taxes included and only 1st months payment due at signing.

Thats not a bad deal at all and would be the way I'd go if I were the OP. The 392 has everything he's looking for in stock form IMO. So there will be no need to chance voiding the warranty like others are suggesting.

Users who are viewing this thread