4 cylinder mustangs feedback

G04cobra

Established Member
Hows it going guys, I recently found a nice deal on an 89 notchback. I plan to use it as a DD but I have no idea how reliable these cars are. Anyone have any first hand experience with these cars?

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive had two rangers with the 2.3L 4 cylinder. Its definitely not a power house or super-economical engine, but I could never kill it...I drove it like I stole it for several years and it never gave me a lick of trouble.

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
put it this way, mine has over 100k miles on it now, hasnt been very well maintained by the previous owner, yet has done me so far without a single failure on it. i drive it the second it starts up, dont wait for a warm up, then it has to face an hour of stop start gridlocked traffic, followed by a 15 min 70mph drive to work. as has been said previously, its not as economical as some, but it splits my fuel bills from the snake pretty much in half when used daily.

usmcrebel

Established Member
loved my 2.3t in the merkur so much so hopefully i will find a donor for the 2.3t motor. had 232k on the clock and the only thing wrong with the car was the ghetto Merkur manual and some electrical issues....got 28-30mpg on the way home from ATL

cobracide

Established Member
Had +120k plus on mine before someone rear-ended it and it was totalled. Reliable engine, WAY underpowered for the size car ('92).

usmcrebel

Established Member
there is a SVO for sale on ebay right now for a decent price, a 4cyl fox is more than worth the look esp if DD is your desired use for it.

Users who are viewing this thread