4 bolt mount FSTB's compared to 8 bolt mount FSTB's

Gear Poet

Established Member
Bear with me on this question; I'm coming from the Miata autocross crowd where the trade is all about handling tech.

The OEM front shock tower brace and nearly all of the aftermarket FSTB's mount to the shock towers using the two inner bolts. Only one aftermarket FSTB that I can find utilizes four bolts per side, or all eight available bolts.

On the Miata, heavy torque loads between the shock towers -- which the brace is designed to mitigate -- can flex the tower mounts themselves slightly, momentarily twisting suspension geometry. We've found that the problem is much worse with FSTB's using only the two inboard bolts on the tower, which is why every aftermarket FSTB uses all three bolts on the Miata (six bolts total) -- in addition to a secondary piece angling back and bolting to the firewall.

It seems to me that a heavier car like the Mustang (+1400 lbs.) with more power (+260 hp) would place even more torque loads on the shock towers, and would require a full 4 bolt per side mount to distribute the load and avoid tower flex and momentary twists in suspension geometry -- to say nothing of long term mount fatigue over the life of the vehicle. In terms of materials composition, sheet thickness and reinforced stress points, and design, I can find little difference between the tower mounts and strut/shock plates of both vehicle, relative to their different weights and power.

Is it that most FSTB's for the later model Mustangs, including the OEM, are poorly designed, or am I missing something?

BrianH87

Established Member
I always wondered the same thing. I came from the Evo word where strut tower braces connected to all three strut mount bolts as well as a beam on the firewall. I guess two out of four is adequate, but two out of three is not.

Voltwings

Established Member
Most useful STBs do connect to the firewall. In my mind, a vehicle doesn't lean perfectly side to side around a corner like this H (imagine the wheels being the corners of the H) but instead pivots off the firewall more like this I< . I think 90% of the STBs out there are just cosmetic, and the BMR one is the only one I can find that even remotely ties back to the firewall in some sense. I'll likely pick up that BMR one at some point, but right now im just not quite sold on the current designs. Hell, the FRPP ones have like a 1/4" gap around the bolt on either side. You'd have to take up all that slack before you're actually transferring any load...

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=194&superpro=0

Notice here how the beefier sections are the ones angled back towards the firewall... the center connecting piece is almost half the thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread