#4 and #7 Misfiring!

Bloo

Established Member
I recently had my clutch, and and slave cylinder replaced under warranty because last time the dealer fixed my tranny they didn't torque the flywheel correctly and was causing the bolts to back out. Went and picked the car up and the transmission felt awesome...BUT the car ran like shit. Loses all power and check engine light comes on if I hover around 3500rpm. Dealer said cylinder 4 and 7 are misfiring pretty bad. Had them replace the plugs, didn't fix anything. I was going to have them do a compression test and check the cops.

I was recernly told by a local car guy that more than likely the tech didn't do a "crank relearn" ... I'm unaware of what that is...can someone please explain so I can tell the dealer about it? Apparently I have all the symptoms that lead to this.

NickSezz

Established Member
I recently had my clutch, and and slave cylinder replaced under warranty because last time the dealer fixed my tranny they didn't torque the flywheel correctly and was causing the bolts to back out. Went and picked the car up and the transmission felt awesome...BUT the car ran like shit. Loses all power and check engine light comes on if I hover around 3500rpm. Dealer said cylinder 4 and 7 are misfiring pretty bad. Had them replace the plugs, didn't fix anything. I was going to have them do a compression test and check the cops.

I was recernly told by a local car guy that more than likely the tech didn't do a "crank relearn" ... I'm unaware of what that is...can someone please explain so I can tell the dealer about it? Apparently I have all the symptoms that lead to this.

Yes. A dealership needs to perform a crank position sensor relearn on your car. This can only be done with the IDS. If you are tuned, make sure you tell them NOT to reflash your PCM with the latest strategy.

Bloo

Established Member
Yes. A dealership needs to perform a crank position sensor relearn on your car. This can only be done with the IDS. If you are tuned, make sure you tell them NOT to reflash your PCM with the latest strategy.

Yes I am tuned. So they can do the sensor relearn without reflashing the PCM?

For instance if they DO reflash the PCM with the new latest strategy, can't I just reload my tune?

NickSezz

Established Member
Yes I am tuned. So they can do the sensor relearn without reflashing the PCM?

For instance if they DO reflash the PCM with the new latest strategy, can't I just reload my tune?

I am pretty sure they can just do the relearn procedure.

If they reflash your PCM with a different strategy your after market tune will no longer work. Your return to stock file will also not work. If you have any doubts what the dealership may or may not do, just return the car to stock before you take it in. That way if they do reflash your PCM your handheld tuner will be unmarried to your car and can be reused with a new tune for the corresponding new strategy.

If they reflash the PCM, you would have to give your tuning company the new strategy instead of the box code located on the computer. You can read the vehicle's strategy with the tuner at any time under vehicle info.

This all sounds more complicated than it is :burnout:

Notfast2012

Established Member
It's no problem just had my clutch put in mine gave a misfire code 1 and 4. They did the relearn and no effect on the tune. Takes about 5-10 mins to do.

Bloo

Established Member
Told the dealer to go ahead and do the relearn and NOT to touch my PCM. I really hope they don't screw me over on this...

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Your dealer should have known to do this. At least theyre fixing your car with it being tuned though

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone using a pirated version of Tapatalk 2

Bloo

Established Member
Your dealer should have known to do this. At least theyre fixing your car with it being tuned though

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone using a pirated version of Tapatalk 2

So far they've done more bad than good. Went in for tranny whine. Got it back without them torquing the flywheel bolts properly, which caused them to put in a new clutch and shit. Now this issue...

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
So far they've done more bad than good. Went in for tranny whine. Got it back without them torquing the flywheel bolts properly, which caused them to put in a new clutch and shit. Now this issue...

Take it to a different dealer for the clutch relearn. Chances are your dealer now will F**k something up again.

Clutch relearn is definitely needed.

Bloo

Established Member
Tell the dealer use the scan tool to perform the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure. Hope this helps.

Take it to a different dealer for the clutch relearn. Chances are your dealer now will F**k something up again.

Clutch relearn is definitely needed.

The dealer it is at right now is pretty dang far, i don't want to have to drive it and it go into limp mode on me the whole way to another dealer. I called them this morning and told them to do exactly what NoFast2012 had said and told them not to touch my PCM. He called back and said it won't be done till Monday morning, so thats kind of frustrating. Monday is the last chance I'm giving them before i start telling others the name of the dealer and technician.

Bloo

Established Member
Anyone on here a ford tech who can explain exactly how the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure is supposed to be performed? I'd like to go up there Monday morning knowing how it's supposed to be done.

Bloo

Established Member
wow that sucks, not until monday? Notfast just said it's a 5 to 10 minute procedure...

I know; it's horse shit. This is why I want to know how exactly the process is done, so I can go Monday morning and explain it to them.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
That sucks. It's really simple to do, open a new session, select Toolbox tab, Powertrain tab, select Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction. The car needs to be warmed up first, if it isn't you have to wait until the ECT comes up. Then the IDS directs you to rev the car up and close the throttle, this might have to be done twice. I was told by a Ford engineer that they are getting better results with a decel from 6K rpm vs the 5K directed by the IDS.

It literally takes less time to do it than to type out how to do it.

Bloo

Established Member
That sucks. It's really simple to do, open a new session, select Toolbox tab, Powertrain tab, select Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction. The car needs to be warmed up first, if it isn't you have to wait until the ECT comes up. Then the IDS directs you to rev the car up and close the throttle, this might have to be done twice. I was told by a Ford engineer that they are getting better results with a decel from 6K rpm vs the 5K directed by the IDS.

It literally takes less time to do it than to type out how to do it.

Lmao, awesome. Thank you!

ATTFighter

Established Member
why do some cars do this and some don't? I do not understand. I have had my clutch replaced twice now... and never had a misfire or code thrown and car runs perfectly with well over a combined 4k miles on the new clutch.

mtrsprt

Established Member
Your PCM will relearn this in a short period of time. Perform a KAM reset. After that, a few engine starts and shut offs (some spirited driving thrown in), the codes will not show themselves again.

Bloo

Established Member
Did the re-learn this morning. It did the trick.

Tech told me they only have to do a relearn on tuned cars and that he's never had to do one of these before unless it was a f250 or some shit.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Your PCM will relearn this in a short period of time. Perform a KAM reset. After that, a few engine starts and shut offs (some spirited driving thrown in), the codes will not show themselves again.

I would always recommend to have the relearn performed when clutch replacement/ PCM replacement, have heard horror stories when people let it be and see if it relearns.

-Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread