4.88 + Spool = Should have been first mod!!!

duane v

Established Member
Just got the car back from Sutton Eng...I had a Moser 31 spline full spool and axles with 9" housing ends fully welded..And I gotta tell ya this should have been the first mod done to this stang of mine :thumbsup: ...It feels like its being shot out of a catapult...The car feel like its 200 lbs lighter...other than the head cam and tune, this mod is something you can definately feel...IMO the best mod Ive done so far...DA snake boy!!!

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
man 4.88's make the 4.10's sound like such a small gear. Glad you like the setup. How does it hook with those slicks?? neck snapping off the line?

duane v

Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
man 4.88's make the 4.10's sound like such a small gear. Glad you like the setup. How does it hook with those slicks?? neck snapping off the line?
My street tires are 315x60x15 BFG DR's :-D ....it just shocks the shit of those tires :rockon: ...DA snake boy!!!

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
that's awesome!! still using an 8.8 housing? i haven't given up on my ole 8.8 yet...it hasn't given up on me...YET :-D

after a few weeks, would you mind writing an indepth pro/con article of the spool for the street? inquiring minds want to know. :-D

glad you like it though. i think i'll be going with a locker "next time" possibly an e-locker...

my engine builder told me i should get a 4.88 since i go to the track a lot. One of these days i'll listen to him...hehehe

Last edited:

duane v

Established Member
Doug said:
that's awesome!! still using an 8.8 housing? i haven't given up on my ole 8.8 yet...it hasn't given up on me...YET :-D

after a few weeks, would you mind writing an indepth pro/con article of the spool for the street? inquiring minds want to know. :-D

glad you like it though. i think i'll be going with a locker "next time" possibly an e-locker...
There are the myths about a spool on the street, but first try its not really bad, it does make the rear tires chatter a bit if you go too slow around turns, but no biggie...I wouldnt do it to my daily driver, but since my stang is my toy, Id figure I would just complete the whoring out process...DA snake boy!!!

JIMS SVT

Established Member
I wouldnt have any other diff in my car.Ive had a 33 spline spool/axles in my car for like 4 years.With 456 and 488's both.It helped traction a ton on my car.It will wear those bf's out in a hurry though.On a regular street radial they will last though.I killed a set of et streets in like a month after the swap.Glad you like it. Jimmy

duane v

Established Member
JIMS SVT said:
It will wear those bf's out in a hurry though.On a regular street radial they will last though.I killed a set of et streets in like a month after the swap.Glad you like it. Jimmy
Thats exactly what they told me, that I'll be buying new tires in about two months...I'll be using regular radials...DA snake boy!!!

JIMS SVT

Established Member
I run a set of 295/50/15 radials on the street and have another set of the same wheels with 26x10 et drags screwed on them.I just swap them out at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread