4.6 to 5.0 big bore, wet sleeved kit.

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
I have a couple of questions for you gentlemen that run this kit.

I've searched and came up with nothing.

What was the cost from tear down to start up? What was the final rwhp? I read in 5.0 magazine that a big bore kit, four falve with PP C-heads was making over 450rwhp NA..?? Who also makes the best kit?

Thanks,
-Arron

johnjon87

Established Member
I have the big bore aluminum block you're talking about the stroked block unfortunately I haven't been able to assemble it I have the custom oistons to that I am now trying to sell because I no longer have a 4.6

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
It was an older group of magazines at my dads. I was just searching through em and found it. I want to say last July...

I wasn't talking about the stroker, just a big bore kit. The fr500 motor is a bigger piston 4.6 4v bored to a 5.0.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Why not just build a big bore stroker?! :D I'm interested in these setups too though OP very cool making n/a power from a mod motor.

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
The 4.6 already has a HUGE stroke. I don't feel comfortable making the stroke any longer. The 4V heads are bigger then the cylinders on a 4.6 so boring the cylinders out allows the heads to match better with the cylinders which in turn makes more power then stroking, on a 4.6.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
The 4.6 already has a HUGE stroke. I don't feel comfortable making the stroke any longer. The 4V heads are bigger then the cylinders of a 4.6 so boring it allows the heads to match better with the cylinders so, in turn, boring makes more power on the 4V then stroking.

Very true. I wouldn't want to just stroke it. I would rather just have a Big bore if I had to pick one or the other for the reasons you stated. Although, if you increase the bore then it's an undersquare motor (bore is bigger than stroke) so why not increase the stroke too? Not sure what the ratio for a BB stroker is though, I must admit.

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
Very true. I wouldn't want to just stroke it. I would rather just have a Big bore if I had to pick one or the other for the reasons you stated. Although, if you increase the bore then it's an undersquare motor (bore is bigger than stroke) so why not increase the stroke too? Not sure what the ratio for a BB stroker is though, I must admit.

I'm not sure, I guess it worked for the fr500 motor since it's just an bored over 4.6.

johnjon87

Established Member
Well if anyone is interested in doing this build I have everything here brand new never assembeled. Like I said before the pistons alone take about a month or 2 to be made.. I'll post some pics up later tonight

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
The 4.6 already has a HUGE stroke. I don't feel comfortable making the stroke any longer. The 4V heads are bigger then the cylinders on a 4.6 so boring the cylinders out allows the heads to match better with the cylinders which in turn makes more power then stroking, on a 4.6.

Stroking a 4.6 is just fine as long as you do it right. I've even seen some stroked 4.6s turn some narly RPMs.

Talk to John @ Modular Performance...he is the man and the pricing is great.

Last edited:

Jonroberts

It was an older group of magazines at my dads. I was just searching through em and found it. I want to say last July...

I wasn't talking about the stroker, just a big bore kit. The fr500 motor is a bigger piston 4.6 4v bored to a 5.0.

Also using , cobra style 5.4 valve heads. And a ridiculous costly intake. Made for the Fr500 , couldnt the stock terminator heads work intake well lower and the stock ported eaton?

Users who are viewing this thread