4.6 Rodeo or 4.6 Windsor?

reaperstang

Established Member
As everyone can see I own a 2003 v6 Mustang.

I have been shopping around trying to consider what I want to do with my car. Since it was my first Mustang I am going to keep it and motor swap it. I was looking online and have found salvage yards with the 4.6 liter engines for a little over a thousand dollars. However I know if I bought one of those I would want to rebuild it anyways with forged internals so I could put a Supercharger on it.

Then I began looking for 4.6 liter blocks and came across two versions. One of the Romeo and the other is the Windsor. So my question is... what is the difference and what were each of them used in?

Once I pick out a block what sequence of parts should I look into buying and installing? I have a few friends who can help me but it's 2A.M. and they are in bed. Whoever can help I appreciate it.

Last edited:

reaperstang

Established Member
I am assuming one of them was used in the Mach 1 and the other is used in the GT. From what I found though the Cobra used a different block altogether.

reaperstang

Established Member
Do you suggest any rods, pistons, crankshaft, and such?

I know the 03-04 Cobras had the H-Beam Manley rods but is there something better that I should look into?

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
depends on how much power your planning on making. The H beams have been run to 1000hp before. If you plan on making those kinds of numbers you might look into billet rods. Stock cobra crank is good, and just make sure yoyu get a good quality brand of pistons. Most will do the job, but the higher end pistons are JE, CP, Manley, Diamond, etc....

reaperstang

Established Member
Is there anything else I may need to know in building a motor from the block up?

Is there maybe an estimated amount of money that I will spend if I go that route of using the Cobra crankshaft, some Manley Pistons, and such?

I appreciate all of your help.

reaperstang

Established Member
This is currently the plan I have. Obviously I need to plan out a lot more but I think this is a good start.

Livernois Romeo 4.6 block = $399.99
Livernois Rotating Assembly = $2195.00
Livernois 4.6 L 2v Billet Camshaft L114(459KIT4-2V/4VB) = $499.99
Patriot Romeo Stage II Heads(1004R) = $1,395.00

With this set-up it will be running a 9:1 compression. So then when I get an SC or Turbo I will be hooked up.

Double0fox

2 extra cylinders
Established Member
lol what are you talking about? The Windsor and Romeo used the exact same parts. The only difference about the windsor is they use 13 bolt heads, whereas the romeo uses 11.
Actually thats for the valve covers. The heads bolt on just the same. But your right they are pretty much the same thing, so I don't see how one sucks????

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
dont buy patriot heads, they blow, also the windsor has an 8 bolt crank, on the GTs the romeo/windsor cranks are equally as strong/weak depending on how you look at it

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
There is no real performance difference in the Windsor vs Romeo blocks. They both are NOT the weakpoint in the engine. The rods are. Since you are forgin the internals, you will be fine. The info on the forged parts are good. You may want to look into Modular mustang racing too. They have some killer deals and good stuff too. For what you are paying for the rotational assembly listed, you could get a who assembled shortblock.

As far as how to build your block; you have to decide what you want from your engine. You will need the K-member and springs too for the swap. Along w/ the GT computer.
Good luck.

reaperstang

Established Member
dont buy patriot heads, they blow, also the windsor has an 8 bolt crank, on the GTs the romeo/windsor cranks are equally as strong/weak depending on how you look at it

Why do you say Patriot Heads suck? Did you have them and they broke or malfunctioned somehow?

Thanks Zoie daGT. I still have a lot to learn and the plan is to get all of this done before racing season next spring.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread