4.6 engine swap problems

awful knawful

Established Member
Hey guys. A guy I know swaped a 4.6 from a 96 manual into his 98 v6 manual mustang and it won't turn over. This is what he wrote to me.
"Well I changed the wire harness under the hood and the computer and changed the anti theft and the keys were reprogram etc and still when u turn the keys over there is nothing the theft light keeps on flashing ..."
Could it be the wire harness from the 96 into the 98 be the problem? Any help would be great!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Sounds like the ECU locked out/PATS going off of that. If that's the case, he'll have to take it to a tuner that has Fords OEM tunes or a dealership and have it installed.

RichM1983

Established Member
Sounds like the ECU locked out/PATS going off of that. If that's the case, he'll have to take it to a tuner that has Fords OEM tunes or a dealership and have it installed.

This is not the problem. When PATS stops the car from starting it still allows it to crank and turn over but not start.

OP: Not sure what the problem could be but it sounds like there is an electrical issue since the car wont even turn over. I did a similar swap but went from an 02 v6 auto to a 01 4.6 manual. You may want to check the CCRM behind the passenger side fender. That needs to be changed when you do a motor swap because the 6 and 8 cylinder are different. As far as the harness working I'm not sure because I changed every harness under the hood, not just the engine harness. CCRM's can be found on ebay fairly cheap.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
This is not the problem. When PATS stops the car from starting it still allows it to crank and turn over but not start.

OP: Not sure what the problem could be but it sounds like there is an electrical issue since the car wont even turn over. I did a similar swap but went from an 02 v6 auto to a 01 4.6 manual. You may want to check the CCRM behind the passenger side fender. That needs to be changed when you do a motor swap because the 6 and 8 cylinder are different. As far as the harness working I'm not sure because I changed every harness under the hood, not just the engine harness. CCRM's can be found on ebay fairly cheap.

Forgot abotu that. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread