4.6 and Auto Trans

acdrew

Established Member
How many of you guys run automatics behind your cars and how do you like them behind the 4.6 motors. I have one on my nova and run a floor shifter. I was thinking of doing a setup like this on the cobra eventually. My main concern is how will it react to the high winding mod motor. The pro's I see are consistent times at the track and affordability. The cons I see are possible daily driving issues with a decent stall. I don't see paid 2000 for a used t-56 that has been beat on or 4,000 for a brand new setup and I have heard the TKO transmissions don't like the rpm range of the 4.6 motor.

Jonesy98

Established Member
i have one, enoy it a great deal... sometimes i do wish i woulda just swapped the 5speed as well. only downfall to having an auto to me, (could be the trans tune) is the shifting around town vs. WOT....

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Another fan of the 4R70W here. Even with as much as a 4K stall, a quality lockup TC will perform well in a DD application. Shift/lockup schedules, pressures, etc are all adjustable in the tune, assuming you use a compatible EEC.

Users who are viewing this thread