4.6 4V Custom Turbo build

amnat

Established Member
Hey everybody this may sound like a retarded question but here goes.
I want to do either a custom single or custom twin turbo kit. I just got a set of long tubes and I really wanted to keep them, so has anyone ever heard of mounting a set of twins directly after a set of NA headers? If not has anyone heard of a big single mounted on the H pipe?
I like the concept of an indirect mounted turbo but I think the STS rear mounted turbos are pretty dumb.
I already had a vortech installed previously so oiling really should be easy.
I just really would like to make a custom turbo kit, but nothing too serious/expensive/fast haha. I am really only aiming for 400hp/400tq. (Eventually I'll go higher after I get better rods)
Lol goal isn't too high. I already had about 425rwhp with the vortech bjtni would rather do it with turbos.
Again I know this sounds dumb. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's a company that makes a low mount turbo kit like that for Challengers and I think GT500s. I'm sure you could do it, but I wonder if there's enough room down there for the turbos? I'd be worried about ground clearance.

amnat

Established Member
Yeah that is true. Also here is another question. Have you ever heard of a company that makes the turbo headers? I can seem to find the headers without the entire kit.

01yellercobra

Established Member
When I was looking into turbos I was thinking about CG Fabrication. They make a kit with forward facing headers and the start of a downpipe. If you want rear facing then I'd either find a pair of shorty headers or stock manifolds and build off those.

Last edited:

amnat

Established Member
Hey, sorry I didn't see ur post. I'll definitely be giving them a call. A little pricier than I expected but still not bad tho. Thanks.

MTBSully

Established Member
Your idea would never work on these cars. You would pull that turbo and probably most of your exhaust off on the first speedbump you hit, if you could even move the car at all. If you are trying to do a custom turbo setup with longtube headers because "you just bought them" and probably want to save some money, a turbo build is not for you. The $400 price of those longtubes pales in comparison to the cost of doing a quality turbo setup. Don't mean to be harsh, its the truth. Sell the longtubes and get the right equipment if you want to do this.

MOTOWN M

Established Member
Your idea would never work on these cars. You would pull that turbo and probably most of your exhaust off on the first speedbump you hit, if you could even move the car at all. If you are trying to do a custom turbo setup with longtube headers because "you just bought them" and probably want to save some money, a turbo build is not for you. The $400 price of those longtubes pales in comparison to the cost of doing a quality turbo setup. Don't mean to be harsh, its the truth. Sell the longtubes and get the right equipment if you want to do this.

Gotta agree with this statement!

Mystic03

Established Member

+1...im not sparing no expense during my turbo build and let me tell you...you will be payin out the ASS! and im doin this myself along with help from my friends welding etc...

Users who are viewing this thread