4.56 in otherwise stock 98?

jlg32281

Established Member
Anybody running 4.56 gears in a somewhat stock setup. I'm considering swapping my gear from the stocker to a yukon 4.56. My rearend leaks now and I'm sick on the puddle in the garage so I have to tear into any way. Is there a way to adjust the speedo? I know there are speedo gears for 4.10's but I haven't seen anything for 4.56. Second, what should a shop charge for a gear install including bearing replacement, just the labor if I bring all of the parts? What is needed to repair the limited slip?

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
You'll have to get a speedcal or a tune for the speedo.

Not sure how much it would cost for the install.

gq916

Established Member
i paid 300 including oil for 430 gears, axles, and bearing kit from a well known shop in sacramento. I also had to buy speedcal for 100 to fix the speedometer.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
I know that labor will be cheaper if you bring them just the rear-end yourself rather then the whole car. Also you might want to put on some solid uca and lca while its out.

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I know that labor will be cheaper if you bring them just the rear-end yourself rather then the whole car.

What? Who the hell is going to physically remove the entire rear end and take it to some shop where it will be clumsy and heavy to handle?

You're thinking of the IRS cars where people pull the center section themselves and take it in. That is where people get the break on the price due to the reduced labor charge for not having to pull the center section.

Last edited:

paintballpyro1

Established Member
If you think about it, it would be cheaper cause they wont have to spend the time trying to un-bolt the whole rear end and everything esp if the bolts are seized to the metal sleeves inside the bushings

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Dude, I don't know how your rear-end guy does it, but everyone I know leaves the rear end in the car...

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
If you think about it, it would be cheaper cause they wont have to spend the time trying to un-bolt the whole rear end and everything esp if the bolts are seized to the metal sleeves inside the bushings
You are seriously confusing our rear ends to an IRS. There's a big difference, you know.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
Thats what i thought guess i was wrong. It is bulky but it isnt terrible to move or anything. I just bought a whole new rear end with a new carrier,ford racing 4.10 and a girdle for less $300 so ive never had to deal with taking my car to the shop. But a shop did quote me $500 for the install if i had the gears and all.

projectslideway

Established Member
Alldata qoutes 2.9 hrs to replace the pinion gear.... maybe add half an hour to transfer the ring gear while you're in there. Take into count the price of the needed shims, bearings, crush-collar and fluids (don't forget to use friction modifier). I would expect to reasonably pay 300-500 depending on where you go and what the labor rate is....assuming you already have the ring and pinion gears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread