4.30's!!!

blk96SVT

Established Member
Just received my gears in the mail!! By this time next week (hopefully, knock on wood) I will be driving around with some 4.30's and a new Spec Stage I clutch which should be here Saturday!! Can't wait, I have the mod bug real bad now!! Tires are next then maybe by the middle of the summer a Magnaflow catback!!

Tim

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
That's sweet man. Once you catch the MOD bug you can't stop.

blackfang

Established Member
Enjoy the gears. Just remember let them break in a little before you get on them. That way you can develope a good wear pattern. Some guys recommend heat cycling, but just taking it easy the first 200 miles will be fine.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
i think you have to get a speedo calibrator for the 4:30's, I dont think they make a gear to make the speedo accurate with them

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 98cobrancali
i think you have to get a speedo calibrator for the 4:30's, I dont think they make a gear to make the speedo accurate with them
I purchaced a SHM mechanical compensator for the 4.30's in my '97 Cobra. Correct, they don't have a plastic gear that will be accurate, it will be a little off. Not to mention the plastic gear will melt eventually.

blk96SVT

Established Member
I purchased the Speedcal from DallasMustang. Hopefully it works well. Can't wait to enjoy my new gears and my new clutch setup sometime next week, it will probably be a long week!!

Tim

blackfang

Established Member
The Speedcal works just fine. I installed mine in 30 minutes. Just make sure you hook everything up correctly. I have the install on my site. Just click the Cobra link below.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
I purchaced a SHM mechanical compensator for the 4.30's in my '97 Cobra. Correct, they don't have a plastic gear that will be accurate, it will be a little off. Not to mention the plastic gear will melt eventually.

you know while i was over in japan, left my cobra with my mom, and she burned up 2 speedo gears with the 4:10's, i dont know what she was doing with the car but hasnt happened to me yet

03DOHC

Established Member
Any time you change the speedo gears from stock they don't last long. I had customers come in with 3.73's or whatever and their speedo drive gear was melted after 10,000 miles. Sometimes they lasted for 30,000 miles. They always seemed to begin getting chewed up in the middle first and then they just melt or fall to pieces. That's another reason why I went with a mechanical compensator, which uses the stock driven gear. The stock ones last a long time. I don't know why. They just do.:shrug:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> myblk32v: ok so i didn catch my dp. Didn' t think u guys would be so hard on me.

It's all good =>) ...

hantzis

Established Member
I've got FMS 4.30 gears ($169 - unlike 4.10s and 3.73s - $139) collecting dust in my apartment. I had them in my 97 Cobra for 1.5 months before I decided to go with 3.90s. I do too much highway driving for 4.30s. Anways, I'm selling them for $115 including shipping.

EMail me at hantzisd@ yahoo.com if interested.

Dean

Users who are viewing this thread