4.30s installed

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Finally took care of the noisy rearend and had all the bearings replaced along with the installation of 4.30s. ASSC Racing in Lake Bluff, IL performed the work and I recommend them to anyone in the Northern Chicago area, they did an excellent job- gears are completely quiet.

This has been said a billion times but 4.30s really are the only choice when trying to decide on a rear gear ratio. I was nervous that they would be too aggressive for my daily driven 50+ mile a day Cobra but they are far from that. Not only do they make driving more enjoyable, they also make driving alot easier in my opinion. Shifting in traffic is way smoother and seems more natural. The engine is always happy with the 4.30s it seems. My RPMs on the highway are more than tolerable, I almost don't see 4.56s being a problem on a daily driven Cobra.

They're still breaking in so I've only lightly gotten on it a couple times but the car does feel a good bit quicker with the gears. Definitely the best mod done so far. Also installed Dallas Mustang Speedcal, which went very smoothly and is also recommended.

Coming from a conservative guy though, 4.30s really are perfect for N/A Cobras... anyone still caught between them and 4.10s should really stop thinking and go with the 4.30s. Can't wait to take it to the track now.

Paul

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
wait so let me get this straight, 4.30's arent too much for a daily driver?!!!! all right!!! :poke: :thumbsup:

FSSNK

Established Member
4.30s are Great! I was a little apprensive at first but by far one of the best mods for the 96-98s.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
I will get 4.30s for this car in a few weeks.
What brand did you get?
thanks.

wicked5_0

Established Member
Congrats! Your going to love the 4.30s. I don't daily drive my car but I could if I desired. I routinely take mine on long trips and average 23-24 MPG at interstate speeds and that is with a blower and a TKO.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
jmir018 said:
I will get 4.30s for this car in a few weeks.
What brand did you get?
thanks.

Ford Racing. This is the only brand I suggest getting and the only brand the shopt said they install in Mustangs. Better quality than other brands.

Paul

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
yes. that's the only brand i'll buy for gears too.
Does anyone here road race? i'm thinking about getting into road racing and think that 4.30s might be too much for that.. that's the only reason why i'm postponing it.
I need to make up my mind if i want to drag race or road race..

FSSNK

Established Member
grandestang said:
Ford Racing. This is the only brand I suggest getting and the only brand the shopt said they install in Mustangs. Better quality than other brands.

Paul
FRPP all the way!

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
b dub said:
wait so let me get this straight, 4.30's arent too much for a daily driver?!!!! all right!!! :poke: :thumbsup:

what!? Everyone told me that 4.30's were too much and clearly should go with 3.73's.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I just put my 4.30s in 2 weeks ago. no noises either. frpp of course.
I love'em 3000 rpm's at 80 on the highway, that's not bad at all.
If you think that's not reasonable for a daily driver, then you better stick with the stockers, lol.
My car is a beast now! I now need to buy a new trans. mount, I can hear it when I redline and bang second and third, LOL.

97cobra$VT

97 Cobra SVT
Established Member
What and where do you get a Speedcal. Any links would be nice to the right ones for a 97Cobra.
So when you do the gears its them a speedcal and what other expense besides labor?

97cobra$VT

97 Cobra SVT
Established Member
How much should labor to install be? How many shop hours?
Also, how long should it take to install the speedo, and how is it done?

DarickPSU

Mick in a Mystic
Established Member
97cobra$VT said:
How much should labor to install be? How many shop hours?
Also, how long should it take to install the speedo, and how is it done?

3 hours tops. Near $200-250 for the job. By far the best mod for a N/A cobra. The speedo gear takes 4 seconds.
D.

Mr Boss 302

The shop I used charged 300 for installation of gears/new bearings. However mine ended up being a good bit more because more shop hours were required to clean up the mess my fried bearings made in the rearend housing.

You can only use a speedo gear up to 4.10s, beyond that you have to use speedcal. I would use speedcal regardless however because it is supposedly more accurate and you don't have to worry about an aftermarket speedo gear getting chewed up prematurely as they frequently do. I got my speedcal from www.dallasmustang.com for $100. Install was fairly easy, no need for a shop to do it for you.

Paul

EDIT: this is grandestang accidentallyl posted on my brothers new account. :D

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Mr Boss 302 said:
You can only use a speedo gear up to 4.10s, beyond that you have to use speedcal.

actually according to SHM, for 4.30s you replace the internal 8 tooth drive gear with a 6 tooth gear. then use a 21 tooth red recalibration gear.
4.10s require the same internal drive gear, then a 20 tooth black recal. gear

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
does anyone know the right part number for calibrating 430s?
Can you really use a speedcal? i thought you couldn't use those with 96s and just had to replace the speedo gear.

Users who are viewing this thread