4.10's here I come!!!

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Well looks like my next upgrade are 4.10 gears!! Friend at the Ford Dealership is charging me $300 for the install. A LOT better than $900!!! and $700!!!

Install will be sometime next week!

Mi - Mi - Mi - Mi so Horny! :rolling:

mnypit

Established Member
Excellent!! I love my 4.10's, one of the better mods I did (even though they are a little much for me now)!

Steve

99SVTAddict

Established Member
4.10's are a great street gear. You will love it. Feels like an extra 50 RWHP at first....but you will get use to it.

Mnypit...even with my Vortech I still think it's the perfect gear.
Dang, I just noticed your RWHP...and I thought my numbers were good. :beer:

Last edited:

99SVTAddict

Established Member
The RPM difference would be like 200 RPM's or something like that.
My friend went with 3.90's, I went with 4.10's. I keep telling him they must have just put 4.10's in his car cause the car responds just like my 4.10's do.

I would push for the FRPP 4.10 gears.

mnypit

Established Member
Originally posted by 99SVTAddict
4.10's are a great street gear. You will love it. Feels like an extra 50 RWHP at first....but you will get use to it.

Mnypit...even with my Vortech I still think it's the perfect gear.
Dang, I just noticed your RWHP...and I thought my numbers were good. :beer:

Your numbers ARE good!! :thumbsup: Even though 1st and 2nd gear (at least on street tires on the street) are useless when WOT, I still am glad I have 4.10's in the car. Driving through town "normally", the 4.10's help keep the car responsive, without having to give it too much throttle.

Steve

99SVTAddict

Established Member
Mnypit, I agree 100%.

I finally put on the DR's for the track...they actually hooked. What a rush....little different than spinning the tires at 50 mph in 2nd

patigerjet

Established Member
Originally posted by peterjmc
Well looks like my next upgrade are 4.10 gears!! Friend at the Ford Dealership is charging me $300 for the install. A LOT better than $900!!! and $700!!!

I assume that the gear change is a bit complicted and requires some skill from the little i read. I always wanted to have the option of going back and forth between stock gearing in the winter and the 4.10 in the summer, but i guess this would be 2 costly unless i avoid a costly $600-$700 shop change and go homebrew. Any ideals 2 do it on the cheap without the hassle of going to an easier rear axle and eliminating the IRS?

I love my IRS and just wouldnt want to do this

Angus

Established Member

Are you planning on running the car at the track? Or are the gears mainly for the "Fun-Factor"?

The reason I ask is because 4.10's BLOW at the track - get 4.30's if you plan to see any track time.
I had 4.10's installed in my '01 Cobra, and I regretted it every time I went down the 1/4-mile... :gt:

They're good for a "Street-only" car though...

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Angus,

Yes, my car will be strictly street. It has only seen the track once back when it was bone stock 2 years ago.

If you have read my other posts I am now conisdering a NX wet nitrous system instead of the gears.

about 500 for gears... or 600 for a 75-150 nitrous setup?

I am torn... but it looks like the Nitrous will win at the end :burnout:

Angus

Established Member
Angus,

Yes, my car will be strictly street. It has only seen the track once back when it was bone stock 2 years ago.

If you have read my other posts I am now conisdering a NX wet nitrous system instead of the gears.

about 500 for gears... or 600 for a 75-150 nitrous setup?

I am torn... but it looks like the Nitrous will win at the end :burnout:

Cool - Nitrous is almost a no-brainer for the 4V.
Watch-out for your 1/2-shafts though - Nitrous is not easy on them, even with 3.27 gears. You should check them periodically for possible stress/imminent breakage.

More info can be found here:

Joe Lynch 1/2-shaft stub shaft inspection

and here:

IRS conclusions.

Good luck - your car should be a beast with a 100-shot! :D

Sully99SVT

Established Member

Daaaaaaaamn!!! I wish I could find a deal around here that good. Cheapest I was quoted was $475. I have 3.73's ready to be installed, but I'm not willing to pay that much for the install. I know, I know, I'm a cheap ba$tard, but I want to get the best deal possible.

cobrastrike

Established Member
I have 4.10's in my 01 love them lot's of labor to install them it's not like a solid axle. my advise after install stay off that track or else no more 1/2 shafts don't mean to scare any one but trust me i know

2JZFAN

Established Member
Originally posted by 99SVTAddict
The RPM difference would be like 200 RPM's or something like that.
My friend went with 3.90's, I went with 4.10's. I keep telling him they must have just put 4.10's in his car cause the car responds just like my 4.10's do.

I would push for the FRPP 4.10 gears.

It's really that similar? I can't decide on gears. It took me 4 months to decide on 4.30 gears after driving my friends 98 Cobra with 4.10s. Recently him and I raced on the highway for no reason from 3rd. I was in 3rd under power and he was in power. He was in 5th while I was still in third pulling him in before the 4th shift. We weren't going very very fast. This is Florida and highway races happen all the time. This scared me, that is just retarted.. he was in 5th and I hadn't shifted once...! :eek:

So anyways I recently swapped cars with my boy for a night. He's got a 97 Cobra with all the bolt-ons and 3.73s. This car felt great on the highway!!! I had long enough gears yet the car could move from a stop. I really liked how his car felt..

With taking both these expereinces into thought I was thinking 3.90 gears at most and possibly 3.73s. This car is IRS and a convertible.. I'm not looking to run at the track anymore I already get kicked out and I'm not putting in a cage. I'm looking for a nice daily driven cobra with some move down low and some MPH up top.

Any advice..?

TNstangman

Established Member
I love my 4.10's great for street/strip.

I just wish I had a t56. That would be a great combo!

I can dream cant I!?!?! :D

Users who are viewing this thread