4.10's and a 2.93 upper

mytjojo

Established Member
Ok guys need some input. I just installed 4.10's next weekend I'm putting on the stegy stage IV with a 2.93 upper. Am I going to be sorry, or Excited after my tune. Am I going to go boom real soon or am I good. I'm doing all the Cooling upgrades including the Even flow cooling mod as well as 60lbs injectors. Right now Im nervous as hell. This is further down the rabit hole than I have ever been. Your thoughts

Joe

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I have 3.90's and I like them, but I couldn't imagine 4.10's. I have traction issues with et streets. A 2nd gear roll crushes them, but it's still fun.

mytjojo

Established Member
I've got 18" whhels with Nitto dr's 305/18/35's. I think I will be good with traction. I think I'm more worried about blowing a half shaft

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
mytjojo said:
I think I'm more worried about blowing a half shaft

That really has nothing to do with the gear you run. If you hook hard or
hop, say goodbye to a halfshaft. My money is on the passenger side.

snake134

get some good tires and some 18' wheels....they'll increase the rotational weight and that will lessen the wheel spin...am i right on this?

GodStang

Established Member
I am running 4.10s AND THEY SUCK!!! I lost twice to a bone stock 03 Cobra because of traction issues.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
GodStang said:
I am running 4.10s AND THEY SUCK!!! I lost twice to a bone stock 03 Cobra because of traction issues.

yeah, i personally don't see the need for 4.10's in these cars, especially the ones pushing over 500 rwhp... :shrug:

mytjojo

Established Member
snake134 said:
get some good tires and some 18' wheels....they'll increase the rotational weight and that will lessen the wheel spin...am i right on this?

That was my theory as well.. I have 18" wheels with 305 nitto dr's and figured the 4.10's would be ok so +1 on that

mytjojo

Established Member
snake134 said:

Are you running on stock 17" wheels and street tires?

SVT_4_me

Established Member
mytjojo said:
That was my theory as well.. I have 18" wheels with 305 nitto dr's and figured the 4.10's would be ok so +1 on that

yeah, but 305 nitto's are equivalent to what... like a 275 of anything else?

mytjojo

Established Member
SVT_4_me said:
yeah, but 305 nitto's are equivalent to what... like a 275 of anything else?

I'm not sure.. I know with rear wheels being DD @ 10.5 the tire is streched out and wider than my old 315's

C55AMG

Established Member
hmm i researched this and all i saw were happy cobra owners?? theres a guy on here named pmachy?? i think he has a upper only with 4.10s running great times. and a 1.5x 60 ft to boot if im not mistaken....

who tuned your car on So cal??

Last edited:

TrickStang37

Established Member
snake134 said:
no way. 18's if anything will make you spin more. you need more sidewall flex, running a SMALLER wheel would help with a TALLER tire.

i think 4.10's are a mistake, 3.90's are borderline. unless you have almost zero traction issues and can actually harness it, i think they are gonna hurt you way more than help. Nitto DR's are not gonna be up to task IMO, you need a better DR. If the cobra's had centrifugal superchargers, the gears wouldnt be as devastating but with the instant boost (TQ) from the roots, its overkill.

You'll be maxed out at about 120 through the traps with 4.10's @ 6500 rpm.

01cobra2020

Established Member
I have 4.10s & 2.93 (no port). It's really not that bad traction wise when I'm running my 275 GS-D3's as long as it's 70F or warmer. Right now its 32F and I just got home, it got all sorts of sloppy in 2nd on an on ramp. With my 315 Hoosier DR's traction is not a problem at all. However, the car is farily limited top end with 4th ending around 120. I'll end up going back to 3.73 probably when I add more power mods.

mytjojo

Established Member
Thanks to you all.. because of your great replies I have decided to not go with the 4.10's in my terminator. I'm real glad I posted before install. However all is not lost. I will be keeping the 4.10's that I ordered and putting them into the 93 notch that me and my buddy are building as a drag car

thanks again:beer:

Joe

mytjojo

Established Member
C55AMG said:
hmm i researched this and all i saw were happy cobra owners?? theres a guy on here named pmachy?? i think he has a upper only with 4.10s running great times. and a 1.5x 60 ft to boot if im not mistaken....

who tuned your car on So cal??

Steve from Powertrain Dynamics he's awsome
I'm getting another tune by him later this month to tune for my stage IV stegy and 2.93

Users who are viewing this thread