4.10 gears too much for my 01 Cobra?

Snake01

Established Member
within the next week i am going to get new gears for my cobra. someone mentioned to me that 4.10s are too much for my car, is this true? also does ne one know of a good place to order these? thanks
jordan

LSCobra

Established Member
The consensus you'll get is 4.10s are minimum. Many will argue 4.30s and even a few will say 4.56s. If you stay naturally aspirated, you should stick with 4.10s or 4.30s(which I would go with given all I've read).
Whomever told you 4.10s was too much probably thinks Mustangs still have 5.0 pushrod motors in them with a relatively low redline. You won't have to worry with a 6800 RPM redline.

Last edited:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
No, not in the least, and don't let ANYONE, even a trusted mechanic tell you otherwise. These cars should have come with at least 4.10s, and I would never recommend anything less then 4.30s for anyone doing a gear swap. Everyone thinks of the 5.0 when they think of gears for the mustang. The 5.0s redlined lower down and had a good deal of torque. 3.73s were the perfect gear for them. To optimize the DOHC 4.6, 4.10s, 4.30s or 4.56s are the best.

Avenging Angel

Established Member
4.10's in my 99 Cobra
4.30's in my 01 Cobra
I drive a lot of the highway & I have 70,000 miles on the car. Get the 4.30's if you're going to stay naturally apsirated.

cobra35th

snakebit
Established Member
Yea what they said!
I got 3.73s and I am looking into 4.10s very soon, trust me, it pulls hard!! I rode in an 03 with 4.10s, it made me drool!

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by LSCobra
The consensus you'll get is 4.10s are minimum. Many will argue 4.30s and even a few will say 4.56s. If you stay naturally aspirated, you should stick with 4.10s or 4.30s(which I would go with given all I've read).
Whomever told you 4.10s was too much probably thinks Mustangs still have 5.0 pushrod motors in them with a relatively low redline. You won't have to worry with a 6800 RPM redline.

Bah, you beat me to it. Were you reading my mind? :dw:

Looks like I need to wrap my head in tinfoil again...

kaos

Established Member
Hell yeah, get the 4.30's. I'm so used to it it's not even funny and I drive a lot. The drag strips are 90 miles from me. I drove 50 miles one way to pick up some et streets. I having work done at a shop this weekend that is 50 miles from me and I love every minute of it.

Snake01

Established Member
thanks alot for all the input. when i went to a mechainc my friends knows he told me that the 4.10s would be to much. i didnt think he was right, but i just wanted to make sure befor i do it. i do drive on the highway alot does anyone know what my rpms would be going around 70-75 mph? thanks again
jordan

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i know at 80, it's just a hair over 3K rpms, and i was still getting 23-24 mpg at that speed....i'm going 4.30's next time....

VTTRAPN03

Established Member
When i asked my shop to install the 4.10's in my 99 cobra, they thought i was crazy. Cobra's in no way, shape, or form have the awesome amount of torque that 5.0's have to get going. Mine feels like a 4 cylinder below 3000 rpms with the 4.10's.

If I had to do it again, i would go 4.30's also. You need to drive a car with at least 4.10's and then you'll know what I mean.

Love,

Al

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
My '99 Cobra was my daily drive in L.A. traffic for two years.

The 4.10s are not too much gear for it. I was going to buy a Mach at one point and had already decided that I'd put 4.30s in that.

cobraracer46

Banned
I drive my Cobra on the freeway at triple digit speeds almost exclusivley, so I'm either going with 3.55's or 3.73. I definiatley will not install a set of 410's because at the speeds I go on the freeway, the rpms would be way too high for my liking and besides, I'm not a drag racer. :rolling: :burnout:

BadAzztt

Established Member
I have 4.30's in my car and drove it 2200 miles across country without a single problem. I still got about 22-23 mpg and it feels the way it should have from the factory. I was actually expecting more from these gears but the lack of power below 3000 grand is noticable, far better than stock though. If I were to do it again I might even go higher but I think the closer gear ratio of adding a 6 speed would be better. In my opinion the 4.30's are a minimum and am glad I didn't let my mechanic talk me into going with less, because for some reason they all try to.

Avenging Angel

Established Member
Originally posted by Snake01
thanks alot for all the input. when i went to a mechainc my friends knows he told me that the 4.10s would be to much.
Get a new mechanic. Seriously.

75 in 5th gear will be 2900

KillrCobra

Established Member
Like everyone said above, 4.10s are the minimum on these motors. Most people who cringe when you mention 4.10s don't have a clue about the mod motors. I honestly think 4.10s weren't enough when my car was n/a, but now they feel perfect. So if there's no power adder going on in the near future then I'd go with at least 4.30s. Also, don't bother ordering them. Just find a good shop and they'll have everything needed to install them.

Users who are viewing this thread