4.10 Gears or 3.73

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
GodStang said:
Kooks LTs, Kooks X-pipe, Bassani Catback.

If you're having that much of a problem, I'd check the suspension and make sure something isn't wrong. Postban's car with the whipple, 4.10s, and F1s didn't have problems like that. I have buddy with an older Cobra with probably 320 - 360 rwhp and 4.10s that spins going into every gear and goes sideways in every gear because his suspension is so jacked up.

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
Every Cobra is different. There was just a debate on a local forum about drag radials getting rid of wheel hop completly.

If I powershift into 2nd I get wheel hope on the street. If I don't powershift then I don't get wheel hop. I have MM full length sub frames and BFG 315 DR's. I just put in H&R Race springs. We'll see how that helps.

I talked to a guy that had 4:10's and he said it made no difference at the track. He was on streets tires.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
04Sonic said:
If so how is it to drive on the highway.

I can't speak for the 4.10 gears but when I had the 3.90's in mine at 2,000 rpms cruising I was at 60 mph. With the stock 3.55's @ 2,000 rpms I was cruising at 70. I still like my higher speed highway driving so the 3.90's came out and the 3.73's went in. Now at 2,000 rpms I'm at 68 mph.

I would not make a change from the 3.55 to the 3.73 - personally I didn't notice much of a difference. I only put them in because I was taking the 3.90's out & I had already given the 3.55's away. With the 3.90's there was a big change, but just as you add more HP & TQ a street tire will not handle it.

Spade

Established Member
silvrbullit04 said:
I have had 4.10's in my car since feb of this year. I love em! I have the nitto 315 drag on the back. 1st gear there is definitely some spin and wheelhop, mostly wheelhop, and then when i nail second there is a brief period of spin and maybe wheelhop, but then when it grabs just hold on and be ready hit 3rd!
As far as gas mileage goes, I havent really noticed that much of a difference. I just love em, they really woke up the car. Went to the track only once since then, I ran a 12.6 at 121. before i got the nitto's, you will definitely need some et streets for the track. Make sure that you beef up the IRS some. Like a billetflow dif brace, some irs bushings, and if you can swing it beefer halfshafts or a solid axle. Just take it easy when you get on it in 1st gear, thats when i broke a half shaft.

What's your Hp and TQ number?

Spade

houston03cobra

Established Member
well guys , i just finished the install on the 4.10 gears .it took 5 hours start to finish. this is the best mod i ever done to the cobra.. the car should of came with these installed from the factory..... the gears makes the car feel light when leaving a light. it accelerates alot better too. i would recomend these to anyone.......

silvrbullit04

Established Member
Spade said:
What's your Hp and TQ number?

Spade
My curret numbers are 470hp and 474tq. I cant say enough about the 4.10's. I to was a little hesitant about installing them in the car. Everyone said that it would be to much gear. I'm glad i did it!:rockon: :burnout:

04Sonic

Established Member
silvrbullit04 said:
My curret numbers are 470hp and 474tq. I cant say enough about the 4.10's. I to was a little hesitant about installing them in the car. Everyone said that it would be to much gear. I'm glad i did it!:rockon: :burnout:

Does it scream on the highway or it is fine for a daily driver.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
here is my two cents about gears from reading the forums for the last few years and from talking to different owners of cobras.

the people who like them usually have stock or slightly above stock power or are track cars.

people who hate them and generally do not need them are high hp daily drivers and even some high hp track cars.

4.10 is way too much gear for a 600~700rwhp street car, you really dont need it and it doesnt help, it makes launching way harder and your traction will absolutely suck.

if you dont have good traction now on good tires the gears will make it worse.

for a track car it can help, you get slicks, tall tires, figure out what gear and tire you need so you dont have to do the extra shift right before the end of the 1/4 and you can improve your time.

but being that even my car has traction problems with 600rwhp and good tires, more gear is a waste of time for me.(daily driver) and probably for many of you.

so anyway take all that with a grain of salt. but I have never heard of a 600~700+ street car thats was happy with more gear.

silvrbullit04

Established Member
04Sonic said:
Does it scream on the highway or it is fine for a daily driver.
Its a little loud, but its because of my exhaust. I have an o/r x with flowmaster catback. Its tolerable for me because i dont do that much highway driving. And when i do, i usually have the windows down!:rockon:

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Can anyone shed any light on this?

I just had the car retuned with SCT and took out the old diablo chip. I didnt look at the chip to see what was done to it. Well, I was pulled over for doing 42 in a 35. I argued with the cop and told him I wasnt going that fast. So a week later, I had a friend in a rental minivan with only 500 miles on it clock my speed as he drove beside me. Sure enough my speedo is about 6 mph off. My car cuises ar 2350-2400 rmps n 6th gear at 70 mph. Does anyone know what size gears my car may have had installed before I bought it? Any help would be GREATLY apreciated!

04Sonic

Established Member
Jdaniel said:
Can anyone shed any light on this?

I just had the car retuned with SCT and took out the old diablo chip. I didnt look at the chip to see what was done to it. Well, I was pulled over for doing 42 in a 35. I argued with the cop and told him I wasnt going that fast. So a week later, I had a friend in a rental minivan with only 500 miles on it clock my speed as he drove beside me. Sure enough my speedo is about 6 mph off. My car cuises ar 2350-2400 rmps n 6th gear at 70 mph. Does anyone know what size gears my car may have had installed before I bought it? Any help would be GREATLY apreciated!

That could be a calibration issue and have nothing to do with gears.

04Sonic

Established Member
Jdaniel said:
What would need to be recalibrated abut it if it were stock gears?

Your cluster could be off vss etc. Did you look under vehicles to see if the cover has been tampered with??

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
It all depends on your suspension and tires. I'm running a solid axle with 4.10s, torque arm and panhard bar and even with stiff roadrace springs it makes good traction. On street tires when they are new it holds first gear WOT once you get it rolling.
I need to back off to 3.73s now though because I am going to 5th in the 1/4. I don't have the option of running a 28" DR because I'm on 17s due to my Baer brakes and I run the 26" M/T ET Street radials (M&H makes a 28" DR for 17" wheels but they are crap from what I hear).

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I never understood the logic of going with 4.10's and then changing out to a taller tire? That's just reducing the net gear ratio back to "X" amount. Why not just keep the 26" tires and go with the 3.73/3.90's which is what a 4.10 w/ a 28" tire approximately comes out to......

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
IronTerp said:
I never understood the logic of going with 4.10's and then changing out to a taller tire? That's just reducing the net gear ratio back to "X" amount. Why not just keep the 26" tires and go with the 3.73/3.90's which is what a 4.10 w/ a 28" tire approximately comes out to......

For drag racing the 28" tire has more sidewall than the 26" tire and gives better 60ft's. You are able to launch harder & hook better with the taller tire.

Alphahunter

Automotive Connoisseur
Established Member
BuffDigits said:
here is my two cents about gears from reading the forums for the last few years and from talking to different owners of cobras.

the people who like them usually have stock or slightly above stock power or are track cars.

people who hate them and generally do not need them are high hp daily drivers and even some high hp track cars.

4.10 is way too much gear for a 600~700rwhp street car, you really dont need it and it doesnt help, it makes launching way harder and your traction will absolutely suck.

if you dont have good traction now on good tires the gears will make it worse.

for a track car it can help, you get slicks, tall tires, figure out what gear and tire you need so you dont have to do the extra shift right before the end of the 1/4 and you can improve your time.

but being that even my car has traction problems with 600rwhp and good tires, more gear is a waste of time for me.(daily driver) and probably for many of you.

so anyway take all that with a grain of salt. but I have never heard of a 600~700+ street car thats was happy with more gear.
I want to see more pics of your car! The wheels look hot!

Last edited:

McCobra

(--)
Established Member
had a buddy put 4:10s in and he wish he hadnt. has some vibration on the highway too from the gears. he says he wishes he didnt and is goin back to 3:55s. hes also around 500rwhp and gets no traction with nitto 315s

Users who are viewing this thread