4.0 whipple monoblade driveability issues - TB advice needed

StangSupremacy

Established Member
I have a 2008 GT500 with stock bottom end running the 4.0 whipple, fore fuel rails, dual BAP,. I have taken it to my local dyno shop but the car seems to have heavy drive-ability issues. At WOT it runs perfect without any hiccups and runs very strong, but the idle seems to constantly be hanging during normal driving. At start-up, i almost always have to tap the accelerator so the idle catches and the car doesn't stall. Also, if i accelerate even the most slightly and put it in neutral, the cars idle bounces and then dies. Additionally, when i am cruising at highway speeds, the car seems to surge/hiccup and kind of "pulls back" unless i am constantly accelerating. It seems most of the problems come when i release the accelerator, even if i was only accelerating slightly.

My Question: 1) Can the whipple monoblade be tuned for great driveability through Lund tuning or is it better to invest in a better throttle body before tuning? The car is primarily a weekend warrior and sees the track 3-4 times a year. I am just tired of all the stalling and dying out, i want it to be smooth.

Thanks for your input.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
There are certain inherent dynamics of a large TB that cannot be tuned out 100%.

I have the same TB and my driveablitly is good, however the idle can hang some times, I have no stall issues at all, nor any issues at cruise.

Keep in mind that a small change in the blade angle has a big effect on air flow, thus the MAF/PCM can take a bit of time (seconds) to make adjustments.

I think Lund (who has a lot experience with the Whipple mono-blades) could improve your set up.

lmurtha1

Name Taker
Established Member
There are certain inherent dynamics of a large TB that cannot be tuned out 100%.

I have the same TB and my driveablitly is good, however the idle can hang some times, I have no stall issues at all, nor any issues at cruise.

Keep in mind that a small change in the blade angle has a big effect on air flow, thus the MAF/PCM can take a bit of time (seconds) to make adjustments.

I think Lund (who has a lot experience with the Whipple mono-blades) could improve your set up.

I agree 100%...I am running a 4.0L Whipple with the big Monoblade and have excellent Idle and throughout the power band. Zero drivability Issues. Ken Bjonnes from Lund Racing tuned my car and this is their specialty. You should not have any drivability issues with this setup if the tuner knows what he is doing. Is it more difficult to dial in? Absolutely, but can and has been done easily with a competent tuner who knows his stuff. Period.

My 2nd question is why are you running a 4L whipple on a stock bottom end? Your engine will soon be a paper weight. A stout engine build and very nice flowing heads will help the engine perform at its peak.

Either way, my car after being built, would not idle for the life of it. It would start, then die...then we could get it running at idle but at a higher rpm. Brought it over to Ken at Lund Racing and he had it dialed in perfect within an hour.

StangSupremacy

Established Member

I contacted Lund to see what it would cost to perform a remote tuning session. I just want to make sure I don’t waste a couple $100 on a tune and then end up buying another TB anyways. I heard the whipple monoblade has more issues versus the cobrajet monoblade. I also read that some people have no issues while others seem to have many issues, the only variable is the tuning i suppose.

I agree 100%...I am running a 4.0L Whipple with the big Monoblade and have excellent Idle and throughout the power band. Zero drivability Issues. Ken Bjonnes from Lund Racing tuned my car and this is their specialty. You should not have any drivability issues with this setup if the tuner knows what he is doing. Is it more difficult to dial in? Absolutely, but can and has been done easily with a competent tuner who knows his stuff. Period.

My 2nd question is why are you running a 4L whipple on a stock bottom end? Your engine will soon be a paper weight. A stout engine build and very nice flowing heads will help the engine perform at its peak.

Either way, my car after being built, would not idle for the life of it. It would start, then die...then we could get it running at idle but at a higher rpm. Brought it over to Ken at Lund Racing and he had it dialed in perfect within an hour.

I bought the car with the blower and funds are very tight right now as i am purchasing a house in march and getting engaged in less than a month. I definitely plan on downsizing the blower because i dont intend to go built motor. MY plan is to save up for about a year and get a 2013. Did you bring it to Jones for a in person dyno tune? I heard nothing but the best from their tuning services so I intend to find out if it means solving these issues.

What shop tuned it?

Auto Adrenaline. The crazy thing is that the first time the car was tuned with an air leak and it ran and idles AMAZING. then when i fixed the leak and came back for a retune, it has been running bad ever since, i took it there 4 times to try and fix the issue. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread