3V and a TL

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
So I'm cruising back to my buddies house tonight in my daily, which is an 04 Acura TL (it has just an Aem Intake), and we come across a 3V mustang at a light. Its a 3 lane road that merges to two and I'm in the lane that merges with his, so I figure he is gonna give it a little gas and try to shut me out. Well the light goes green and he does nothing while I bolt ahead and feel dumb.. We continue down the road and I notice he starts to catch up but I think nothing of it. Once he gets on my rear bumper I realized he dropped a gear (it was hard to tell because his exhaust wasn't that loud) and got on it. I followed suit and floored it but to no avail, he jumped ahead of me and cut into my lane. At this point I'm thinking " so this guy wants to run now?". The next light opens up to 3 lanes for the intersection then merges back to two right after. The right two lanes are free but the left one has a car in it. I start thinking "good we can settle this" but he decides to get behind the car in the left lane while I get in the far right leaving the center open. At this point I decide to stick my head out the window, look at him, then the center lane, then him again while giving him the Wtf look. Light goes green and I take off normal while my buddy watches him jerk over into the middle lane and get on it, he then yells "hit it" to me. So I do, and at first I'm thinking he is gonna walk right around me since he got the jump again and my car had to shift back to first, however I soon realized that is not the case. First and second gear he couldn't gain any ground on me. When he shifted to third he finally started pulling in. At this point I take it out of drive and put it in manual so I can hold out 3rd gear longer (drive shifts around 6400rpm while I can hold it to 7k in manual). I wanna say that he nosed me out by the time we let out (end of my 3rd). It was by far the quietest race I've ever been in. Lol. Him and his GF didn't look to happy when we pulled up to the next light. I lol'd. All in all I was happy with my TL, I mean for being up 100lbs and down about 35hp it held its own fairly well I think.

NEMES1S

Established Member
Good death! I test drove a 2008 TL Type-S and it was a very nice car.

Last edited:

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
I really wanted to get a Type-S but couldn't find one for a good price. Im pretty happy with what I have tho. All round great daily driver type car.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I love my TL, fun car to play with LOL. Not fast but slip on the light and chase the 4K to about 80

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
I love my TL, fun car to play with LOL. Not fast but slip on the light and chase the 4K to about 80

I have a 2000 Acura tl and I gutted the trunk for more room and extra crap like spare and removed little weight here and there , I get pretty decent mileage , I went from Michigan to va in 2.5 tanks of gas and its pretty quick till 60 but not a rocket I kept up door to door with a friend in his frs to 140 I can't believe that car did 140 but its a nice little car, it certainly lasted the test of time , 170k and its even been jumped by my brother he blew a trans in it at the strip and it had a new engine and trans , less than 10k

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I honestly think the 3rd gen TL is and will always be the best looking TL ever. My brother in law had a 05 TL and I really liked driving it.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I have a 10 SH -AWD. I got rid of the 08 after getting beat bad by a 2004 GT. Took it in for the squealing belt and service pissed me off. Picked it the 10 and love the new features. Curves much better but will only run 128-130. Few bolt ons done and it will surprise most that I play with.

b_dike

Established Member
Nice run, but on another note... How fast will your car top out at. I had this Iranian guy tell me he had a stock TL go 173mph before. Never could believe it, but he never budged on his story. LOL

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
Nice run, but on another note... How fast will your car top out at. I had this Iranian guy tell me he had a stock TL go 173mph before. Never could believe it, but he never budged on his story. LOL

Lol it's funny hearing people who claim to be car guys tell you complete bullshit
That car will never do 170 I got 140 and after a 1.5 mile slight downhill with pretty much gutted car
Once I test drove a crown vic a sales guy said he has a s2k super charger and turbo on a h22 which is already a hi compression engine , not saying its impossible but very unlikely and given its a super shitty used dealership who tried to sell a crown vic for 7k with 90k miles
He also claimed his daily is a esv for fuel Eco ...

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Good run, an auto TL is a good second slower in the quarter against a 3v so you were definitely the underdog.

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
Good runs!

Wish y'all could have gotten an even run in though

Me too, it seemed he really didn't want that tho.

Im noticing that. Lol

I honestly think the 3rd gen TL is and will always be the best looking TL ever. My brother in law had a 05 TL and I really liked driving it.

Agreed

Well the governor stops me at 150. I've hit it twice and both times took forever. Fourth gear wasn't topped out yet so I could see that gear hitting 173 but not the engine. If the governor was removed I doubt it would have gone past 155, at least not stock.

Good run, an auto TL is a good second slower in the quarter against a 3v so you were definitely the underdog.

That's what I was thinking which is why I was surprised. I guess anything can happen on the street right? Haha

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Never topped out my 3G. Best I ever did was 135 and that took forever. Used almost the whole bridge I was on (about 9 miles long) . After 110 the car felt like it was struggling 1 MPH at a time. The 10 hits the limiter all the time. Nothing to pull 130 playing on the highway. Amazes me how you restrict the 3.7 to 130 and let the 3.2 run all out

ridenfish39

Established Member
I had a 2004 TL 6 speed (green with tan interior), it was the most reliable car I ever owned. It was a lot of fun to drive and it moved out. I took a few people by surprise with it....

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
Never topped out my 3G. Best I ever did was 135 and that took forever. Used almost the whole bridge I was on (about 9 miles long) . After 110 the car felt like it was struggling 1 MPH at a time. The 10 hits the limiter all the time. Nothing to pull 130 playing on the highway. Amazes me how you restrict the 3.7 to 130 and let the 3.2 run all out

Yeah took miles to go from 110-150. Haha. Once it hit 4th it was a struggle. I live 30 miles out side the city so I have plenty of open freeway to struggle with.

I had a 2004 TL 6 speed (green with tan interior), it was the most reliable car I ever owned. It was a lot of fun to drive and it moved out. I took a few people by surprise with it....

That's good to hear. It just clicked over 100k yesterday. I managed to get 180k out of my base model Cobalt, so hopefully I can get more with this one.

matt87

Established Member
still have my 07 type-s since new. been a good car! raced my friends auto 05 3v and we were very even, every time.

Users who are viewing this thread