3rd to second?

Brad

Banned
I'm getting onto the highway, slowly moving up the gears drifting to the middle lane when I notice some dense traffic coming up. The far right lane is clear so I go from 3rd to 4th to cruise by the upcoming traffic. I'm doing about 70, I can't explain what happened but I went from 3rd to 2nd. I can make excuses all day long but honestly the shift from 3rd to 2nd was a smooth transition and it felt like 4th. I’ve never so much as stalled any cobra I’ve owned let alone miss a gear like this. I got 50% off the clutch for a matter of 2 seconds not even. When I was half way off the clutch my rear tires chirped, my shift light went off and I saw tac peg, I knew I was in second. Ok so now I'm back on the clutch, go for 5th and cruise to a rest stop. Pop the hood, everything seems fine. I shut the car off for 10 min just to reflect on the retarded situation. I started it back up and listened for knocking, whistling, anything out of the ordinary, seemed ok. Then I pushed the throttle in for a few WOT revs, sounded perfectly fine. Cruised home 100% a/f perfect. But wow what a retarded thing to do! I’d suspect I was in the region of 8000-9000 RPM for maybe 1 second. I guess this isn't nearly as bad as running the car WOT to those RPMs but bad nonetheless. Any engine builders out there have anything to add, maybe things I should look for over the next few days? I'm planning on doing a comp test tomorrow.

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
I'm not an engine builder but stuff like that happens to me occasionally when i'm not paying attention to my driving(looking at other cars, people), it's embarassing and you try and pass it off as, "I meant to do that." I really had a bad situation in another car like the one you described while accelerating and then accidently downshifting to a lower gear in another car, I thought I really screwed it up but if you immediately put your foot on the clutch after the incident you should be ok, I hope.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Brad said:
Any of you guys notice a rod shoot out of the side of the block the next day... :cryying:

Oooh that sucks, luckily I didnt cause any damage. Scary as hell tho.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I had this happen in the '85. It hit approx. 7200 RPM's, which is murder on these mid 80's 302 blocks.

Nothing happened luckily. :thumbsup:

Are you saying you grenaded the "indestructible" Terminator motor?

Brad

Banned
PlatinumCobra said:
I had this happen in the '85. It hit approx. 7200 RPM's, which is murder on these mid 80's 302 blocks.

Nothing happened luckily. :thumbsup:

Are you saying you grenaded the "indestructible" Terminator motor?

No, it seems like it's ok, but the tac was pegged, what would the motor have to be spinning to support 60-70MPG in 2nd.. :dw:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Brad said:
No, it seems like it's ok, but the tac was pegged, what would the motor have to be spinning to support 60-70MPG in 2nd.. :dw:

To get that kind on MPG, it would be a tow truck or transport. :thumbsup:

Seriously, That would be around 6250RPM's@70MPH in second.

Brad

Banned
PlatinumCobra said:
To get that kind on MPG, it would be a tow truck or transport. :thumbsup:

Seriously, That would be around 6250RPM's@70MPH in second.

haha.. yeah MPH.. haha

wait so the car is geared to do 70 at 6250? How fast was a freakin going.... I remember hearing it hit the limiter, I know the light was going nuts, that's set to 5800 though.. but the tac passing 8k might never of gone down apparently, I know I wasn't going faster than 60-70mph

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Brad said:
haha.. yeah MPH.. haha

wait so the car is geared to do 70 at 6250? How fast was a freakin going.... I remember hearing it hit the limiter, I know the light was going nuts, that's set to 5800 though.. but the tac passing 8k might never of gone down apparently, I know I wasn't going faster than 60-70mph

I couldn't tell you how fast you were going until you know gear+ RPM. Consider top speed in 3rd to be around 104 MPH, so if you were running 60-70 in 2nd you should be AOK.

Users who are viewing this thread