3rd throwout bearing seems to have failed, - this one lasted 350 miles...

upjeeper

Last summer I bought a 2001 Mustang Cobra with 112k on it that needed a throwout bearing. i took it to a local dealership that has a performance shop as part of their business. I paid about $1,000 to have the clutch and throwout bearing replaced, R&R of the transmission, and resurface the flywheel.

Less than 3,000 miles later the throwout bearing was making terrible noises, i dropped the car off and made it clear that it's out of my way to get to their dealership (other side of town) and i needed it checked out that day. 3 pm comes and goes and they hadn't done it. 4 pm and "sorry, we don't have enough techs to check your car." I had to make another appointment a few weeks later where they say "yup, throwout bearing is bad. The good thing was, since i paid extra for the OEM Motorcraft bearing (they suggested F7ZZ-7548-AA, i didn't know about the OEM Performance M-7548-A), the replacement was all covered under warranty. It took them 2 weeks to receive the bearing. Then another week to do the work (i think the book says 8 hours for labor). They told me it took another 2 days because they had to drill a bolt out in the exhaust and they had to order drill bits in. I'm guessing the guy who put it back together last summer cross threaded that part of the exhaust. Point is, i got the run around and they didn't make my car a priority.

Now I've got about 350 miles on this new throwout bearing and it's making the same noise AGAIN.
I'd take it to a true performance shop i trust but i've paid this shop to do it correctly. The reason I didn't take it to this other shop beforehand was I didn't know about that shop at that time and this Ford dealership is supposed to be a performance race car dealership

any advice? does Ford corporate have any customer service to help out with stuff like this?

I'm waiting on a call back from the service manager.

to the best of my knowledge the car was all stock when i bought it. The dealership didn't do anything to the cables, pivot fork, etc. I'm thinking about doing a steeda adjustable line and quadrant and pushing for the performance bearing (M-7548-A)

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the OE clutch cable is regarded as the best option, with an otherwise stock car driveline setup and single disc clutch the stock cable should work fine.

If you're going to replace anything it should be the quadrant and a firewall adjuster.

the TOB retainer sleeve should be inspected and make sure you're not just holding the clutch pedal down all the time when you're sitting at a light and such. Unfortunately bearings going out in short order isn't exactly unusual even when properly set up.

Users who are viewing this thread