3rd set of heads ticking in less then a year (2 of them Jan05's)

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Well it sounds like my 3rd pair of cylinder heads is ticking. This is my second pair of Jan'05 heads in 6 months. I am hoping it is the lash adjusters. I am about ready to roll this bitch off a cliff. I am not sure what is causing all the problems with the heads. I sit in Los Angeles traffic and I am begining to think that is the major culprit. I would just ditch this car and get a C6Z but I have been through 4 cars in the time my wife has been through one , so she gets the next car. I can honestly say that the Cobra is the most unreliable car I have ever owned. More unreliable then the two 30+ year old VW bugs I had as a teenager.Un****ingbelievable

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man sounds like you need a new mechanic or tuner. Maybe a dumb question but are you sure it's not the injectors lol. When you pull the heads is there evidence of the "tick"

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I had them replaced at two different dealers. Galpin Ford did the last set of heads. They are the largest/best dealer in the world for over 15 years. They had a bunch of GT500's, Cobra's and Ford GT's there for service also. Everyone I spoke to told me to take it there (even other Ford dealers). They just started ticking a couple days ago. Before that the car was quieter then my 4 banger Acura. I am sick of all the problems I have had with this car. I baby the shit out of it also : (

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Sometimes the lash adjusters can get a little noisy it may not be the heads.

Did they find any unusual wear on the heads they pulled off?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Sometimes the lash adjusters can get a little noisy it may not be the heads.

Did they find any unusual wear on the heads they pulled off?

I don't know much but there's got to be more going on here. Who is tuning the car? Then why not just have the first set of heads gone back through by someone. This can't be just head tick and if it is then something is causing it.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
In the world? Flag on the field... :bs:

Yes sir. They sell the most Fords in the world for over 18 years now (just looked it up). The place is huge. They also have a television show. I think they call it the GAS team or pimp my ride or something. They have their own high performance shop where they build race cars and what not that is its own huge building across the street from the main dealership. There is a friggin restaurant at the dealer along with a museum, rental car agency, gift shop, etc.etc.etc.

Last edited:

JymBart

Established Member
Did the last set of heads show wear/damage when removed? Do you have a head cooling mod?

JymBart

rexisme

Established Member
Yes sir. They sell the most Fords in the world for over 18 years now (just looked it up). The place is huge. They also have a television show. I think they call it the GAS team or pimp my ride or something. They have their own high performance shop where they build race cars and what not that is its own huge building across the street from the main dealership. There is a friggin restaurant at the dealer along with a museum, rental car agency, gift shop, etc.etc.etc.

Thats cool in all, but for some reason they can't seem to get your stock motor back together right, soooooooooooo........... i can haz new headz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I don't know much but there's got to be more going on here. Who is tuning the car? Then why not just have the first set of heads gone back through by someone. This can't be just head tick and if it is then something is causing it.

I was going to put on a KB but I have had nothing but problems with the car so I bought a warranty for it (big mods are on hold because of the warranty). The heads have been replaced under the warranty. I am running a stock pulley and tune. All the car has is a Bassani X, JLT intake, flowmaster catback.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Thats cool in all, but for some reason they can't seem to get your stock motor back together right, soooooooooooo........... i can haz new headz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Another Ford dealer ****ed the car up. That is why I ended up going to Galpin. They were recomended by 5 other Ford dealerships and everyone I spoke to about my cars problems. I am going to call them and try to get an appointment when I have time. I am hoping it is the lash adjusters. It it getting louder as the days go by and the heads get more miles on them.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I was going to put on a KB but I have had nothing but problems with the car so I bought a warranty for it (big mods are on hold because of the warranty). The heads have been replaced under the warranty. I am running a stock pulley and tune. All the car has is a Bassani X, JLT intake, flowmaster catback.

Man that was a smart move on your part to get the warranty! I'd recommend telling the guys working on it to get someone that knows these heads to look at the ones coming off this time. Good luck!

GodStang

Established Member
Could be an exhaust leak or lash adjusters. I had new Jan 5 heads and had a ticking noise and it was and exhaust leak and lash adjusters mixed. Fixed that and all is great.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Man that was a smart move on your part to get the warranty! I'd recommend telling the guys working on it to get someone that knows these heads to look at the ones coming off this time. Good luck!

This sounds like the same tick my last Jan05 heads had. It is a constant ticking no matter what the temperature of the car is. My first head tick was the regular one that got louder as the motor warmed up. That is why I am thinking it is the lash adjusters or something else.

02reaper

Established Member
I guess this rules out the cooling mod and said problems with the old heads due to cooling.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member

Are your first two sets of heads in the museum?

(Sorry, I could not resist) ;-)

Did you have the cooling mod installed? I don't have any reason to think that would prevent the tick (opinions?), but thought I would ask.

I also would check the lash adjusters.

Hope it gets worked out for you.

E

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Get a different Terminator...sounds like this one has some major issues!

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Are your first two sets of heads in the museum?

(Sorry, I could not resist) ;-)

Did you have the cooling mod installed? I don't have any reason to think that would prevent the tick (opinions?), but thought I would ask.

I also would check the lash adjusters.

Hope it gets worked out for you.

E

No head cooling mod installed

Users who are viewing this thread