3M Paint protection on the GT500

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
Anybody put the 3M protective film on the front of their car? Our roads up North are notorious for small gravel, and I was looking at using the 3M protetive film to help keep the front end looking good. I am especially concerned about chips out of the stripes. Has anyone else here put this on their car, and if so how does it look? My car is Vapor with black stripes.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I know lots of guys with 03's and vipers who have used it with great results. I think it's a worthwhile investment.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If you didn't have the stripes it would work well. But the stripes are going to hinder the look and application.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
I guess that is what I am curious about. If anyone used this with black stripes, how did it look? With the stripes being clear coated, I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad. I guess it would come down to either put it on and have the stripes look different than teh rest of the car, or have them get chipped up.

myndgruv

Established Member
i have a friend up here in ak who puts them on. I dont think the strips would be a problem. And on that board the people who says it yellows may not be using the 3m film. I have had the only on my eclipse for 3 years and its been perfect. I have seen them put on bmws, 911s, benz, and many other high end, high priced cars. IF you have a professional installer put it on they will warrenty it for life.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I have it on my 04 on the front, underneath the gas cap, and on the rear rockers behind the tires. Got it ordered for out Acura TL type S and I'm putting it on this.
rollbarpaintednointerior014.jpg

It's a pain to put on but you can hardly notice it. I haven't had a person look at my car yet and notice it without me telling them.

professionalpics010.jpg

Last edited:

pvteye

Established Member
Had it on a Honda GoldWing Trike once that my ex rode, on the rear fenders, the guarantee was not worth much, still got small stone chips, and the guarantee was just to replace the 3M Film, not repainting the damage... Good for easing the cleanin off of bugs.. but not worth the price for stone chips.
From the 3M site
Warranty
Q. What is the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film warranty?
A. 3M warrants that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film, installed after November 1, 2003, will be free of defects in materials and manufacture — including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking — for five (5) years from date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by misuse, accident, misapplication, or ordinary wear, nor does it apply to dents caused by physical impact of rocks or road debris.

Q. How do I make a warranty claim?
A. To make a claim under this warranty, simply contact 3M at 1-800-643-0955. 3M will direct you to an certified installer selected by 3M to have your Scotchgard Paint Protection Film inspected and, if your claim is covered by this Warranty, 3M will have the certified installer remove the old and reapply new Scotchgard Paint Protection Film.

mustarrosa

Established Member
I had mine done and like it...the price was a bummer though...look at these websites and see about the prices here and then make up your mind..

Users who are viewing this thread