3G Done - Any Advice for My Black Magic Electric Fan Install?

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
There were a few other steps to the 3G than I had read but I got it done. With enough time, trimming, being patient and thinking it threw it looks great. I am very pleased with how it turned out. Hint - Buy lots of heat-shrink tubing and lots of Dremel attachments.

Next I will be tackling the Black Magic Extreme fan install. I ordered the FLX-185 kit as it seems the most complete and correct for the car.

Anyone do the swap and have any little tips or tricks? I have read the instructions (being impatient for the box to show up) and it seems rather straight forward. They don't really touch on which wires in particular to grab Switched + nor which particular wire triggers the A/C for instance.

Any other suggestions guys? Thanks yet again!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
No real advice to give. Install is simple for the most part. I mounted the control box to the side of the shroud because I didn't have room for it anywhere else. Plus, it made the fan a self contained unit. The wires I loomed and ran along the core support under the ac condenser.

As for switched +, a few checks underhood with a test light will show you where you can tap in, but I just wired mine straight to the battery. Then the fan can still run for a few minutes after I park to cool the radiator down.

I didn't wire up my AC connection yet, but I will once I fix the compressor. And I also wired up a switch inside so I can turn the fan on manually. This had an unexpected bonus too, the switch I used was a lighted unit, and while it lights when switched on (as you'd expect) it also lights when switched off if the fan kicks on. I didn't realize the fan would pass power back through that relay when the fan powered on, but it does. So now I can monitor when the fan kicks on from inside the car which is nice.

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
I just "finished" the fan. Thank the Lord Above! That loud mechanical fan was driving me absolutely nuts!

I still have a couple hours rerouting wires and what-not, as well as installing the manual fan switch, but so far so good. It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow (mid 80's at least) so maybe a nice drive in So Cal stop and go traffic to test it out.

I only really update to tell anyone thinking about it to do it. Yes, it was about twice as much (heck 3 times if your frugal) as the Mark VII setup, but I feel great knowing that it is meant for the car, it's 100% new with 0 miles and done right.

The instruction are not as great as one would have hoped (the A/C wire is the Yellow w/ black stripe for instance) but it is manageable.

Thanks again to all for the info!

Ninety3Coupe

die eier von satan
Established Member
IMPORTANT INFO FROM FLEX-A-LIGHT

I noticed that the switch I ordered from them (part number 31148) and the fan kit (FLX-185) had conflicting wiring diagrams. I wrote to Flex-A-Light last night and first thing this morning they notified me that the wiring diagram on the FAN INSTRUCTIONS is correct for Model # FLX-185 - do NOT use the switch diagram for this application.

Just FYI if anyone runs across this thread in the future...

Damn nice fan I will say though. Worth every penny. And customer support like that needs to be recognized! I support them for the quality of the product and awesome support. Buy one!

Users who are viewing this thread