3D Imaging Services recommendations

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Has anyone here used a 3D imaging service that they would recommend?

I’m looking to start a personal project, and have a part that I would like imaged and converted to a .dwg type format for modifications, and eventually commission a CNC prototype.

Thanks.

Eric

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Interesting. I wonder how much detail you can scan using the Kinect. I’ll have to look into that.

CV355

_
Established Member
Is it something that can be easily reverse-engineered, or is scanning required?

If it's a simple 2D part/profile, there are many vision system companies that can convert an image to DXF. 3D gets tricky. Point cloud scans are messy, and you never get a "design ready" 3D model from them.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Is it something that can be easily reverse-engineered, or is scanning required?

If it's a simple 2D part/profile, there are many vision system companies that can convert an image to DXF. 3D gets tricky. Point cloud scans are messy, and you never get a "design ready" 3D model from them.

How large is the part and what material is it made from?

It’s a free float hand guard for my SR762.

No aftermarket options out there due to the proprietary piston and transfer rod bushing system. I’m mainly looking to upgrade my own rifle, but I know of a demand for them if it works out well.

It could be reversed engineered, but I was looking into the possibly of a 3D scan as a starting point.

Looking at 6061-T6 Aluminum

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Precise scanning has to be laser based.

We don't do scanning of objects that small, but my firm does do 3d laser metrology of entire client sites using software like Autodesk Recap, etc.

Just search online for 3d laser parts scanning and ask for quotes.

All of them will provide the files in almost any format you want.

CV355

_
Established Member
Metrology works as an excellent reference, or to measure to confirm dimensional accuracy- nothing beats it there. I've found that scanning for reverse engineering can be more costly than it is worth depending on the item. Might be better to just model the item up.

Excluding cosmetic threads, you might be looking at 4-6 hours of engineering time to model up and detail a handguard, depending on how fancy you want the design to be.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I work for an oem metrology company as well. We have an industrial CT (x-ray) scanner. I could scan the entire handguard and produce a complete STL of the inside and out from one scan. That could be modeled afterwards to a cad file.

CT blows away laser line scanners when it comes to data. Unless you're working with something with a very high density, e.g lead.

I don't have experience with .dwg but I believe an .stl file can be converted over easily.

Let me know if you'd like more info.

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
I work for an oem metrology company as well. We have an industrial CT (x-ray) scanner. I could scan the entire handguard and produce a complete STL of the inside and out from one scan. That could be modeled afterwards to a cad file.

CT blows away laser line scanners when it comes to data. Unless you're working with something with a very high density, e.g lead.

I don't have experience with .dwg but I believe an .stl file can be converted over easily.

Let me know if you'd like more info.

You can do that, but STL is a hollow framework and can only be modified by subtraction or point cloud/vertex doctoring. If OP wants to redesign, they need a native CAD file with the feature structure built in.

I promise I'm not trying to knock metrology! As an engineer myself, I'd be totally fine with scanned imported features if I was using a design file as a reference only, but as a dynamic design it really needs to be reverse-engineered from scratch in a CAD platform (just my opinion)

Users who are viewing this thread