3650 worth it over t45?

Chris.94GT

Established Member
I am in need of some transmission work. My t45 grinds gears and has who knows how many miles on it. The car itself has 182k and earlier this year I had to replace the engine which I found out was at least the second engine this car has had, so now on the third engine to my knowledge. I have no clue if the transmission has even been gone thru or replaced. I have a line on some new in crate 3650 for 800ish. Is it worth the swap to the newer transmission? I contemplated a T56 but it just isn't worth it to me unless it has the .78/.50 OD gearset unlike the .83/.73 or whatever it is the 03-04 cobra comes with, which means more money.

Rebuild T45 (have a guy that will do it on the side) or drop in a new in crate 3650? Its stockish right now but may get a 125ish shot in the near future.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Same predicament here. This is the 2nd t45 that i broke a 2/3 shift fork on. I drive hard. I think ill be ordering the street/ strip t45 rebuild kit from thet45source for mine. If yours isnt really a track car id look into the 3650. I know the shifter wont work but as far as i know everything else will. You may need a computer deal for the speedo to work (speedcal).

Good luck with whatever you choose. You will be addicted to the spray. Might look into a clutch while its apart. Nitrous is hard on clutches due to the huge increase in torque.

Chris.94GT

Established Member
Yeah I had a 125 dry kit on my full weight 94 Lightning. Picked up a full second in the 1/8 on street tires with no spin hitting it as soon as it rolled out of the beams. 4500lb truck best was a 8.58 but never really ran it much.

I have a fairly new ( probably <5000 mi) Ram HDX clutch in the car that I put in when I blew up the throwout bearing. I know the speedcal will be a necessity for the speedometer and also know about the shifter which sucks since I have a MGW. I think I may have a Tri-Ax for 3650 in my parent's garage (traded the shifter that came out of my car for it) but not sure if a friend walked off with it or not. Also believe I will have to relocated the crossmember.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
There are some speedo issues that need to be dealt with when swapping in a TR3650. Also its not stronger than a T45.

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
I swapped out my t45 for a tr 3650 when I blow the t45 up you will need a new shifter and you will need a speedcal... I drive the car hard and so far the trans is holding up to everything I throw at I also rebuilt my t45 with the street/ strip kit from t45 source I would have to say much superior to the t45 that just my 2.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
I swapped out my t45 for a tr 3650 when I blow the t45 up you will need a new shifter and you will need a speedcal... I drive the car hard and so far the trans is holding up to everything I throw at I also rebuilt my t45 with the street/ strip kit from t45 source I would have to say much superior to the t45 that just my 2.

so you blew up a t45 from the t45 source? im not quite sure what point you are trying to get across

Marvin97

Established Member

So what speedcal are you using that lets the speedometer work with the 3650? i'm using the t3650 in my 97 and was told there isn't a way to make it work...

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
Rebuild the t45. I replaced my 3650 with a t 45. Its cheaper to rebuild and stronger IMO. I do have custom aluminum shift forks. And have ran numerous 7.0 1/8 mile times and its still doing strong.

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
So what speedcal are you using that lets the speedometer work with the 3650? i'm using the t3650 in my 97 and was told there isn't a way to make it work...

Don't know what brand it was in the car when I bought the car. All it has is speed- cal on the side of the box.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread