3650 Trans grind/whine??

glittle75

Established Member
My car is a 03 Mach with a 3650. KB2.1 @ 9psi, Mcleod RST, Fidanza Alum. FW, Alum FRPP DS, and 4:10 rear.

When im in 4th (only in 4th so far) and cruising at like 35-45~ish at part throttle in townits fine if your holding the pedal dead still. But as soon as you let off a little, or all the way, there is a grinding noise, and I can 'feel' it in the shifter as well, if you get back on throttle it stops. only when at VERY little or no load. If you pop it into neutral or leave it in gear with the clutch pedal depressed it stops.
Another issue, again only in 4th gear, is if I use 4th to go past 50MPH there is a vibration, in the shifter and really the whole car. Not violent, but it will make you want to stick it in 5th. No other gears do this even if I wind them out to 6k. The vibration isn't enough to make me scared to wind it out though. As going down the track (only time 4th sees that high RPM) its not to noticable over everything else that is going on, if that makes sense. Meaning im still able to focus on shifts and keeping it straight, the vibration isnt bad or noticable over the exhaust note, blower whine, or trying to stay focused on a pass.
FWIW i recently changed the fluid to Pennzoil Sychromesh (maybe a month ago) 3.2qts, and it has a Steeda Tri-Ax on it with a Cobrabob double thick gasket.
The trans and car feel fine other than that, its just really loud and noticable inside the car when cruising.
The car and trans have 20k miles on it, and I have no other typical 3650 problems, no grind into gear or hard shifts.
One other thing, when the car is cold, its not really noticable, like you have to turn the radio off and listen for it. Its there, but faint. Once the car warms up after a few miles is when its really noticable.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread