3650 repair/replace?

GreyAsp

Established Member
I've developed a hairline crack in the the tailshaft housing. The tranny itself still works fine at 65K, but it leaks enough to where it's not really drivable as it is. And I would imagine that driving will just make the crack grow anyway, now that it's weakened. So I guess the options I have are:

1. Weld the housing. Would it be worthwhile or would I have to worry about the weakened part cracking again in the future? And could I do this without dropping the tranny?
2. Replace only that part of the housing. Is that piece even available separately? And again, could I do this without dropping the tranny?
3. Replace the tranny. It's a good excuse to upgrade and I wouldn't have to worry about future issues with a compromised part, but I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money right now.

The big issue is that I really don't want to pull the tranny again. After doing it once (with a lot of help), I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through that again. So, of course 1 or 2 would be preferable. If I have to pull the tranny, I would be really tempted to upgrade, but I don't think it's worth it for a car I'll probably sell within a year anyway.

Thoughts?

img_0911_.jpg

img_0916_.jpg

quikcobra

Established Member
JB weld that sucker lol. Really depends on your pocket book and wants. You can upgrade do a whole t56 swap, OR going for big boost throw a glide in there. Or just get it fixed seal the crack. But why did it crack?

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
JB weld that sucker lol. Really depends on your pocket book and wants. You can upgrade do a whole t56 swap, OR going for big boost throw a glide in there. Or just get it fixed seal the crack. But why did it crack?

I probably would jb weld it, but why did it crack?

txblackmach1

StockR
Established Member
if you plan to keep the sucker..upgrade...especially if you have plans to add more power..

other wise just go with #1

when i had my mach1 i had some grinding on 2nd and 3rd..the guy told me it wasnt gonna be that bad.long story short..he did a whole rebuild..i think i spent like 1750...
if i would of had more time..i would of def..upgraded to t56...but at that time i needed quick since i worked outta town...

GreyAsp

Established Member
No idea why it happened. It's up above/behind the cross-member, so it's doubtfull that it took a rock hit. One day it was fine, next day there was fluid all down the underside. Maybe it was a latent weakness that finally manifested itself? I did some searching but only found 1 or 2 other people who had a crack there. Is that part of the housing cast?

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Personally, I'd take it off (not that bad a job) and have it welded. Aluminum welds just fine; they even weld up top fuel blocks in some cases.

Just my .02.

Users who are viewing this thread