3650 input shaft bearing how to?

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Anybody ever replaced their input shaft bearing? Mine's making a little noise and when I do the clutch I'd like to replace that, too. I've done t-5's but never done a 3650. Is there anything particularly different?

Thanks in advance.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Thanks for the repair guide link. Yeah, it looks like a real PITA. Probably would be best to get a bearing/synchro rebuild kit as there are a few out there.

thebestdj07

Established Member
its not to bad. if you want to leave the shaft in there then just pull the detent plugs on the side of bell and remove the bellhousing. if you want to take the shaft off. use the service manual. i got mine tore down right now reshiming it. make sure you check your play when you change it.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
What are you "refreshing?" Bearings, blockers?? Is there a standard rebuild kit for the 3650? I've got a press. Any special tools you need for the re-build?

Thanks.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
its not to bad. if you want to leave the shaft in there then just pull the detent plugs on the side of bell and remove the bellhousing. if you want to take the shaft off. use the service manual. i got mine tore down right now reshiming it. make sure you check your play when you change it.

More info? Pics?

thebestdj07

Established Member
What are you "refreshing?" Bearings, blockers?? Is there a standard rebuild kit for the 3650? I've got a press. Any special tools you need for the re-build?

Thanks.

you will need special snap ring plyers. found them at orlieys. T40 star bit. and a 3 jaw puller modified to work (went to the hardware store and got some brackets. (long metal with holes drilled in it) to extend the puller). as i dont have a press. also a bearing splitter is needed for the one on the input shaft. (harbor freight) also you need some punches to knock the press pins out.

i bough it used and would do the pop out of second. put a new shift fork in it. problem fixed as the blocking (syncos) looked fine.

drove it like 150 miles and it was making a clunking.

took it back out and my input shaft had play. had .010 play in it. according to the service manual it should have .001 -.005 so i had to get a shim kit from the local ford dealer. you shim the bearings in the bellhousing. they now have .002-.003 in play.

spec clutches suck. not one have i had luck with.

Last edited:

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Thanks for the info.....Have most everything needed tools-wise. Just have to modify that puller for the gear off one of the shafts.

thebestdj07

Established Member
Input shaft bearing R+R.

if its the outer one just remove bell housing and use a bearing splitter to pull it off. heat the new one up and give it a few taps to seat it on.

if you want to get to the inners then tear it down per the service manual. basicaly take off the tail housing. remove everything on the counter shaft, remove the shifter linkage, take off the hold down on the shift fork rods, there are 3 pins in there you must remove also., then unbolt the bell housing and set it on the bell with a block of wood under each side to keep it up off the inputshaft, then remove the main case, just yank up on it hard a few times there is a bearing on the counter shaft. remove your shift forks and pull the main shaft up and out, then you can get to the input shaft inner bearings. its all in the service manual with pretty pictures :rockon:

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
if its the outer one just remove bell housing and use a bearing splitter to pull it off. heat the new one up and give it a few taps to seat it on.

if you want to get to the inners then tear it down per the service manual. basicaly take off the tail housing. remove everything on the counter shaft, remove the shifter linkage, take off the hold down on the shift fork rods, there are 3 pins in there you must remove also., then unbolt the bell housing and set it on the bell with a block of wood under each side to keep it up off the inputshaft, then remove the main case, just yank up on it hard a few times there is a bearing on the counter shaft. remove your shift forks and pull the main shaft up and out, then you can get to the input shaft inner bearings. its all in the service manual with pretty pictures :rockon:

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread