351 swap into 2.3 lx

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
hey guys, im looking to turn my baby little 2.3 LX into a powerhouse and what better way to do it than to swap a windsor into it.

i have a few questions though, i have seen the article on 5.0 mustangs and super fords about swapping a windsor into a 5.0 car, but i cant find anywhere that talks about the differences between the pinto engined car and the 5.0.

what exactly will i need to change in order to run this swap? the obvious ones are prop shaft, rear end and fuel system to cope with the carbs of the 351, but will i need to change any of the steering equipment? it will have a 5 lug swap while its in pieces but i wasnt sure whether i would need the steering rack from the 5.0 to be able to cope with the extra weight.

are the electronic doors etc wired via the computer? or are they a seperate system? mine is a convertible with power windows/hood etc so would be good if i didnt have any extra heartache with electronics too. thats the main reason im keeping the windsor carbed.

also are the motor and trans mounts the same on both the 5.0 and the 2.3? apparently they are the same between the 302 and 351, but what about the 4cyl?

is there any system out there that will enable me to use the original factory gauges so i dont have to have a monster tach? also, how do i compensate for speed correction between the rear end gears, transmission and motor in the fox?

any help on the above would be great, im sure i have missed a few things too but i will get to those later.

Neill

bullypits01

Established Member
Not really sure about the steering equipment, but I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone come out and say they had to change it other than clearance problems w big headers, turbos, etc.

I dunno about the comp stuff for the doors and top of the car but most likely at the worse you have to keep it hooked to a electrical supply, just for the sole purpose of the doors and top.

Most fox bodies (unless for some reason it has a aode) have mechanical gears that drive the speedo. They are pretty inexpensive. You can find speedo gears for most ratios in the rear up to 4.10.

Find your tach wire and at the worse you have to splice it in w the 351 dist or coil to get your stock tach to work. All I have ever heard is that the stock tach cant truely be trusted, some are supposedly known for being off as much as 1200 or 1500rpm. I'd find a way to check it with a buddies spare or get a small one for yourself and place it neatly.

I'm sure the motor mounts are different but these are pretty inexpensive at your local parts house.

Last but not least there were only two trans cross members I've ran into and one is for a single side exhaust and the other is for dual exhaust. Other than that they are the same. You may have to gind the welds loose from the side arm mounts to get the adjustability you need for your setup, but that should be it.
:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread