35 Spline Diff for 8.8

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
I'm afraid that I already know the answer to this but I'm gonna ask the experts here anyways. Does anyone know of a company that manufactures a good limited slip diff for an 8.8 with 35 spline shafts?

I've searched around the web, but have not been able to find anything but 33 spline so far.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Digital

Established Member
I was under the impression ford 8.8s could not accept anything larger then a 33 spline diff. That's also why you won't find anything bigger then 33.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I believe the availability is zip because anyone who is running enough torque to need 35 spline axles is going to be running a 35 spline spool.
In a full time race car.

A street car needs a dif, but a street car does not need 35 spline axles.
Street cars have a very difficult time hooking up big torque.

No hook .. No break. So anything more than 33 is a waste and a mismatch. It's just not needed, therefor no market, therefor scarce or no availability.

Sell them.:beer:

MVD

Established Member

Oops, thx. try this - Detroit true trac limited slip 35 spline:

Dana 60

You must have not read the OP's question. He is asking for a 35 spline diff for an 8.8. Not axles and not for a Dana 60.

OP, no one makes a 35 spline differential for an 8.8. The Auburn Pro is the biggest differential made and that is for 33 spline axles. Once you go bigger than that you have to swap over to a spool.

cobracide

Established Member
You must have not read the OP's question. He is asking for a 35 spline diff for an 8.8. Not axles and not for a Dana 60.

OP, no one makes a 35 spline differential for an 8.8. The Auburn Pro is the biggest differential made and that is for 33 spline axles. Once you go bigger than that you have to swap over to a spool.

Thx for the info, trying to help but obviously not very informed on differentials. I will have to read up before commenting.

Teej281

Established Member
So what would warrant the use of 33 spline axles? Wondering as a friend is getting ready to begin his build of an SRA and I'd like to know.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So what would warrant the use of 33 spline axles?

Breaking too many pro quality 31 spline axles, or if you are ahead of the game, twisting them, and seeing it. To some teams they are a consumable like tires.

Pro drag racers regularly inspect pretty much every splined shaft in the whole drive line for evidence of twist.

Top shelf axles will twist before they break. Losing races is expensive. Breaking any drive line parts including axles can get expensive. So they replace them after a certain number of runs if they know. Or when they actually show evidence of impending doom.

I don't know if current racers still do this, but we used to paint a line on the axle and check it after so many runs for twist. Might not be needed on the current axles available though, the badassery has improved no doubt.

Teej281

Established Member
HEY!! IM THAT FRIEND... please let us know here.

Can those Auburn pro diffs be rebuilt?

Haha yea you are! lol and they look pretty tough that if you broke one that there probably isnt any worth to rebuilding them. Just buying a new one. I'd still stick with 31's with an 03 cobra diff.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
yea as you know mine is mainly a street car and rarely see the strip.

For the OP, id stick with 31's, there cheaper and easier to find IMO.

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
Well this pretty much just confirms what I thought. Not sure why the axle has 35 splines in it, I just bought it that way, cause I got a good deal on a well built axle that I knew I wasn't gonna break. I does have a spool in it now, but I'm looking to redo all the suspension, and turn this thing back into a street car again. Looks like a rear axle rebuild is now on the list.

Thank you very much for the replies.

Digital

Established Member
To touch on this again the max actual size a ford 8.8 diff will accept is 33 spline. If you want larger you must go to a 9".

Users who are viewing this thread