347 w/ sloid mechanical roller cam

TRQ

Hello,
I just finished re-building my 347 engine (ESP-B14003030)+(AFR-1450) and I’m not getting the engine to run as I excepted… So I’m looking around for some answers and what might went wrong.

During the rebuild, I have switched my camshaft from hydraulic roller to solid mechanical roller (CRN-448031),
but still using the same distributor steel gear that came with it originally (MSD-8598), according to Crane Cam catalog the new cam would works fine with bronze or steel gears…
Does the distributor gear ratio play a major role in making power? And if doesn’t should I stick to the ratio recommended by Crane cam.

Also, for the head gasket, I used a Cometic (C5512-030) but noticing some water leak by the headers after starting the engine, I just found out that Cometic make different head gasket for the engines with AFR heads, gasket # (C5910-051).
What is the different between those head gasket and is that a possible reason why engine not making the power it should!!!

As you can see from the gasket part numbers, I’m planning to go for a higher gasket thickness because some people suggested that I have too much compression for this engine and that’s the reason I can’t increase timing to achieve more power.
Please share your thoughts as I’m really lost as this point and not sure where to start.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread