347 Questions

Blown95Cobra

Wheres my torque?
Established Member
I have a friend that is selling a BRAND NEW 347 with Edelbrock RPM heads and RPM manifold for $1800. I have heard that 347's burn oil. If they do how bad? Thanks, Frankie

94CobraPace

Established Member
The reason the 347's have a reputation for burning oil is the oil ring is in the wrist pin. This problem has been fixed on most if not all of the newer kits. To make sure, you would need to see the pistons & make sure the oil ring is not in the wrist pin. Some of the higher mileage 347 can have oil burning problems due to the lower bore becoming out of tollerance due to the side loading of the piston in the bores.
That price for the 347 with Edelbrock heads is a good price. Heads $1000, intake $400, 347 kit $1000, block $150.
I say, go for it, the extra cubes would be a good kick in the pants.

5.0snake

PA Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Get a-hold of RAWSN8K in the Taste of Home, Mid-Atlantic Cobra association threads....he has a 347 putting nearly 400 to the wheels...he can help you out, he gonna help me out with my 331 decisions!

Blown95Cobra said:
I have a friend that is selling a BRAND NEW 347 with Edelbrock RPM heads and RPM manifold for $1800. I have heard that 347's burn oil. If they do how bad? Thanks, Frankie

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
I would just find out if the heads are the revised RPM heads, better flow and design, supposed to be pretty identical to AFR 165's, or you could switch over yours if they are. Should be a beast either way.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
94CobraPace said:
The reason the 347's have a reputation for burning oil is the oil ring is in the wrist pin. This problem has been fixed on most if not all of the newer kits. To make sure, you would need to see the pistons & make sure the oil ring is not in the wrist pin.

Sir, you are correct.

Blown95Cobra

Wheres my torque?
Established Member
thanks for all the help guys :) would 9.5:1 compression be bad for 10psi non-intercooled? that 347 is built for a N/A setup, the guy said it should make 400-450 to the wheels. does that sound right?

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
9.5:1 would be more than fine for 10 psi. You could go to 14 safely with a good tune.

I'm running 8.5:1 and plan on going to 18+ with no worries.

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
Blown95Cobra said:
thanks for all the help guys :) would 9.5:1 compression be bad for 10psi non-intercooled? that 347 is built for a N/A setup, the guy said it should make 400-450 to the wheels. does that sound right?

I have a 347, with around 10.2:1 comp ratio that is putting over 400 hp & tq to the rear on a Mustang Dyno, so supercharged, it should be a piece of cake. It all depends on the heads that you use. Keep in mind that an engine is basically just a big air pump. The more you can get in and out the more power you will make. I will be bakc up to Amazon in the next week or so and I will post my new numbers and a vid for you.

RAWSN8K
(Todd)

Users who are viewing this thread