cobra331

Established Member
Well, I got the 331 in no problem. Just breaking it in now. I know I said I was supposed to post pics. I took alot of pictures but this board only allows tiny file sizes. What's up with that?? If I'd have known that, I would have taken them in e-mail mode on a smaller quality setting. Oh well. Anyway, I ordered an Anderson pipe for my blower too. That's going on next week and then I'm heading up to Swanson's to get a dyno tune. Supposed to hit around 500 to the rear. We'll see!!! I'll try and post my dyno run on here if I can figure it out. I'm much better with cars than my computer:(

95whitevenom

Established Member
Sounds nice, too bad about not being able to post the pics. I would really like to see that car. Would like to see what she runs after the dyno tune as well. Keep updaing us on it.

97 horse snake

Established Member
damn, a stroker and a blower?!? i'm jelous. are you sure you're only gonna be pushing 500? what's your setup consist of entirely?

cobra331

Established Member
Setup

Here's the skinny: 302 block completely machined and clearanced for stroker. 331 kit with h-beam rods and blower pistons(not sure about crank but it's stronger than stock, pretty sure it's steel, not iron). New and Improved Edelbrock performers ported and polished/3-angle valve job/bowl work. Cobra intake ported to match heads. Upper cut open and completely ported through. Crane 1.6 rockers. I forget the cam specs, but it's got a pretty rough idle, and it favors the exhaust with a little overlap. I'll call and get the specs tomorrow. Motorsport damper. High volume oil pump. double roller timing chain. 65mm throttle body(might go 70mm, depending on the dyno tune). 77mm Pro-M, 36 lb injectors 6:1 FMU(might go 4:1 if too rich). Vortech S-trim w/ Anderson power pipe. 3:55 gears.

All of this was built at Total Performance in Santee, just outside San Diego, CA. They built the motor and I installed everything. I'm taking it up to Swanson's next week. A guy with the exact same parts with a 306 instead of a 331 got 475 to the rear after Swanson's work. So Swanson predicts a little over 500 for me with the 331. We're thinking of a dual switch chip so I can do a high octane race program too. That would be about 540-550 to the rear!!! So we'll see!!! I can't f@#king wait!!!

94CobraPace

Established Member
Re: Setup

Originally posted by cobra331
Here's the skinny: 302 block completely machined and clearanced for stroker. 331 kit with h-beam rods and blower pistons(not sure about crank but it's stronger than stock, pretty sure it's steel, not iron). New and Improved Edelbrock performers ported and polished/3-angle valve job/bowl work. Cobra intake ported to match heads. Upper cut open and completely ported through. Crane 1.6 rockers. I forget the cam specs, but it's got a pretty rough idle, and it favors the exhaust with a little overlap. I'll call and get the specs tomorrow. Motorsport damper. High volume oil pump. double roller timing chain. 65mm throttle body(might go 70mm, depending on the dyno tune). 77mm Pro-M, 36 lb injectors 6:1 FMU(might go 4:1 if too rich). Vortech S-trim w/ Anderson power pipe. 3:55 gears.

All of this was built at Total Performance in Santee, just outside San Diego, CA. They built the motor and I installed everything. I'm taking it up to Swanson's next week. A guy with the exact same parts with a 306 instead of a 331 got 475 to the rear after Swanson's work. So Swanson predicts a little over 500 for me with the 331. We're thinking of a dual switch chip so I can do a high octane race program too. That would be about 540-550 to the rear!!! So we'll see!!! I can't f@#king wait!!!

Sounds like a good strong motor. Good luck with that LS1 eating machine when it's done.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
how much did they charge you for the engine? I am looking at the 350 HP one from Ford racing at the moment.

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
Sounds like a sweet engine!.....if you send me pics in an email i can host them for you and post pics for you, let me know. :coolman:

cobra331

Established Member
Costs

The engine cost me $8,000, but I got alot of extras on it. Canton pan, main cap girdle, windage tray, bigger rocker studs, rocker stud girdle, billet flywheel, custom ground cam, etc, etc. I didn't know ford made a 331 short block. Or are you talking about just the stroker kit?

Users who are viewing this thread