315's

JVENOM

Established Member
is 315's too much tire, will it slow me down for it being too much tire, or will I get better traction? :read: info info info plz

bradass31

Established Member
Not sure about the 315's, I was worried about them slowing me down too. Right now I have 275's on 10.5" wide wheels. They are too narrow for 10.5" wheels though, my next set on the rear I will probably go to 295's. You would definetely hook up great with 315's but they might slow you down once your moving- unless your running a lot of hp/tq.---- If you do end up getting them- let me know what you think.

JVENOM

Established Member
hmm good question, I think there might be a possibility it may slow you down but was seeing what others input on them is, it's a fact your gonna get better traction with that amount of tire on the rear.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i have 315's on mine and i dont hook worth a shit. Its also the Summitomo 315's cant be asking for much for only $107 a tire. They dont slow you down much i slowed down .02 sec on my 1/4 time and i also picked up .5 mph. This was from stock wheels to chrome DD bullitts

JVENOM

Established Member
talked to my shop, it would be on the rim if it's heavy the only way you will slow down.

goody03

i need more mods
Established Member
i have 315s on the back and i dint notice it slowing me down, but i did notice grate traction (bf drags).

Silverstangs

Lord Silver ™
Established Member
Depends if you get 18's... then you will notice a little bit of slowing down... but not much. I noticed almost 20hp loss on the dyno thou...going from 17's to 18's on back to back runs..

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
Im going to have to say you are all wrong. First, it depends on what size rim you're running. If you're running a rim thats too small for the tire then you wont get the max contact patch. The tire will wear in the middle and thats it. This means the tire wont wear correctly either.

Second, too big of a tire WILL slow you down. How much, I dont know. But how much more does a 315 tire weigh compared to a 275?

Im sure the amount of contact the tire makes with the ground will also come into play. Car with smaller tires will go faster then a car with bigger tires, more friction. This is why you want the most PSI in your tires that you can run WHILE still getting max traction (rear). For example, increase the PSI in the front to max, and adjust the rears so you get traction, but dont decrease the PSI too much. Chances are if you arent getting good traction with a good tire then you need to work on your suspension.

Point is, a smaller tire with 100% contact is better then a bigger tire with 75% contact.

Last edited:

GTstang02

SVT PSI
Established Member
my summer wheels tires are an 18 with a 295 and winters im running a 17 with a 265. i really dont notice taht much of a difference between the two on dry pavement. a little slower on the e-way, but traction is great. i wouldnt mind 315s for my next set

JVENOM

Established Member
I got 17's, what DR out there you say will hook harder? gimmie your Drag radial experience? BFG?Nitto?M/T?

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
MT over BFG and Nitto. And BFG over Nitto.

However, Id probably switch to a Draglite or Prostar with Hooiser QTP's. Sizes depend on your set up and power.

bradass31

Established Member
stick with the BFG's-they'l never let you down. If you go with a 315- you will need a minimum 10.5" wheel

THE_STIG

Established Member
My friend just bought a set of 18x9/10 inch chrome bullitts for his 2004 GT and he is wondering what size tire he should get, he wants 315s but I told him he should try something smaller. What do you guys recommend for him?

WatchThis03

Resident Goat *****
Established Member
South NJ Stang said:
My friend just bought a set of 18x9/10 inch chrome bullitts for his 2004 GT and he is wondering what size tire he should get, he wants 315s but I told him he should try something smaller. What do you guys recommend for him?

265/35/18 up front, and 295/30 or 35/18 in the back!

Users who are viewing this thread