315/35/17 555R's on Stock Rims Clearance Delema

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
I have been doing alot of reading on past threads on here about 315/35/17 555R drag radials on stock 03 cobra wheels having IRS bolt clearance issues. I have heard some say they had no issues with clearance, others say they did and required spacers. I test fitted my 315's on my cobra this afternoon with the car off the ground on the lift. When i set them on the hub they pressed flush against the bolt head. I have been reading that once the car is on the ground with weight on the tires that it gains clearance.

I now sit debating. I havent put the car on the ground with the wheels on to check clearance yet. I dont know how im gunna get up in there to look at the clearance with the car on the ground, its a tight squeeze for me to crawl under there. If i get the 3/8" spacers to be safe im wonder now about my tire rubbing on the other side against the fender.

So im not sure what to do. Let it go and risk having enough clearance? (which i really really dont want to do) or buy the spacers and risk fender clearance? :shrug:

Anyone on here used the exact setup as me on a car with stock suspension and had the tires flush against the bolt while in the air? If so, what did you do or go with in the end? Any help, advise, or insite would be greatly appreciated at this point!

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
The tires are at their closest to the bolt when you lift the car in the air.
So you stand a chance of clearing it when on the ground. But the other thing to be concerned with is side wall flex when going around corners etc.

As I said on the other thread...

I'm running Sumitomo HTRZ 315s on the 10.5 wide AFS rims. There is a difference in width between different brands even when comparing the same size. I have a 1/4" spacer and still used the buttonhead IRS bolts to make sure.
But I clear with my setup.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
My 315's hit my bolt in the air and once it was on the ground there was plenty of clearance.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
<Edited to remove my common sense approach comment>

I will never, understand

Last edited:

X3FBrian

Established Member
Just save yourself a headache and run a small spacer. 1/4 or so, and should clear with the car on the ground easily.

DE07GT

Established Member
I now sit debating. I havent put the car on the ground with the wheels on to check clearance yet. I dont know how im gunna get up in there to look at the clearance with the car on the ground, its a tight squeeze for me to crawl under there. If i get the 3/8" spacers to be safe im wonder now about my tire rubbing on the other side against the fender.

Just put your hand in the wheel well and feel between the tire and the bolt.

Vnmous97

THE PROFESSIONAL
Established Member
take an angle grinder to the IRS bolt just enough to get a good grip on the bolt for removal later ... remember with wheel spacers you are losing threads on the lug nuts and could possibly cause a problem, if you do run a spacer keep it small !!

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
What brand 315?

Sumitomo's. As others have stated Nittos run narrow. When the car is on the ground unless your car is extremely low in the back I believe you can reach under the fender and feel if the bolt is hitting the tire or not. I went the "cheap and lazy way" and didnt get the spacer or bolt. If you have the funds and time I would go ahead and get them.

Majck123

Established Member
My 315 R888s on 10.5" rims barely hit in the air. I shaved the head of the bolt down just to be sure. It only takes a couple minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread