31 spline tracloc Q's

USMCracing

Established Member
OK I bought a set of 4.30s and a 31 spline Trac-Lo for someone from here at SVTperformance. When I got it I thought was alittle confused. The Trac-Loc ws missing two spider gears, ring gear bolts, the screw/bolt that holds the pin in place, and the pinion gear had a small chipped tooth. The chipped tooth isn't that bad and I'm sure it can be cleaned up with a file. The ring gear bolt aren't a problem causehe reused them when he put his 3.27s back in his car. The thing I'm confused on it the missing spider gears. Can I just use th spider gears from the Trac Loc in my Cobra? The missing gears aren't the ones that are splined for the alxes. He has offered to correct this. He said that he didn't notice that they were missing or the chipped tooth. :beer:

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Would have to think the spider gears have to be included...And the chip is another deal...If it's a very minute chip on a corner,I wouldn't worry.But if it's of a decent size and in the middle of the tooth,could be a sign of fatigue and could be a matter of time before the crack just starts to give way...I personally would return them after seeing a chipped tooth on either the ring or pinion....But that's just me.Good luck.

USMCracing

Established Member
The chip is onthe tip one of the teeth on the pinion gear. I'm not worried about it. The guy has offered to buy new spider gears. The gears only have have 700 miles on them and they look it besides for the chip.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
That's not bad at all...You doing the install yourself?Remember you have to push your shafts inward about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch to be able to pull out the C clips....Hope everything works out for ya and keep us posted...:-D

Last edited:

USMCracing

Established Member
No I'm not going to install them. I'll either have All Mustang Performance in Phoenix do it or look for another good Mustang shop do it.
I still want to know if my spider gears will work with the 31 spline unit? Remember that its not the splined gears that he axles side in.

Users who are viewing this thread