31 spline side gears in stock 28 carrier

marc813

Mach Won
Established Member
ok so i am about to do a 31 spline built rear end in my mach 1. i allready bought moser 31 spline axles and ford racing 4:10 gears (might as well do them while they are out). but my friend said that i could just buy the 31 spline side gears an install them into my stock 28 spline carrier? has anyone done this or know 100% if it will or will not work? if you have done this before do i need the spider gears and the side gears of just the side gears?

marc813

Mach Won
Established Member
see my friend said he did it in his friends 06 gt with paxton blower on it and he did it with just the side gears. and i know they sell the spider gear, side gear, and center pin in a kit for the 8.8 for like $100. so why wouldnt it work? i just dont want to do it and have the teeth not match up perfect and break something on the first hard launch or test drive. but his car is running fine...idk

83 5oh

Wait, Wait...Thats a Cat?
Established Member
hey man i know where your comming from but TRUST me, it's not gonna work it won't even fit in dude. YOU NEED to change the t-lok and supporting hardware. just cause you have the 31 spline axles doesn't mean it's a 31 spline rear end....it won't work without everything else.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
If you can find a 96 up V8 explorer carrier. They some stock with 8.8 rear and 31 spline axles. Look on Ebay I have seen them sell for 50.00 or so.

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
see my friend said he did it in his friends 06 gt with paxton blower on it and he did it with just the side gears. and i know they sell the spider gear, side gear, and center pin in a kit for the 8.8 for like $100. so why wouldnt it work? i just dont want to do it and have the teeth not match up perfect and break something on the first hard launch or test drive. but his car is running fine...idk

Thats the difference right there, pretty sure the S197's had 31spline carriers/axles from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread