305/40/18 ?

nocobrafornow

Established Member
hey guys i just bought a set of Nitto 305/40/18 dr's and i am installing them on the stock 18's. are any of you using them and did you have any clearence issues. they look bigger than i remember them being but first time on a s197 car. also any feedback would be great. thanks

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
yeah, stockers with 305 doesnt seem right..... i run a 295/55r15 and it fits with a little room on the inside, so the 305s should fit the car, the rim is what id be worried about.

kevinp

Established Member
I have M/T 265/40/18s on the stock 18" wheels and the rims look too small, and they are, but I'm just using them for the track. 305 on a stock 8" wheel is really pushing it.

bssmith1220

Established Member
I'm running them on my car, however on a 18x10 replica wheel. There is no way they will fit on the stock wheel. The fit the car though with no issues.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
I would think an 18x9.5 size wheel would be the absolute smallest width i would go with for a 305 sized tire.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ Exactly, the widest you should really stick on a 8" wheel is a 275..and that's pushing it really

I'm running them on my car, however on a 18x10 replica wheel. There is no way they will fit on the stock wheel. The fit the car though with no issues.
Got any pics of the car with these tires on the back? What size you running for the front?

Last edited:

nocobrafornow

Established Member
thanks for the help guys. for some reason when i ordered the tires i had it in my head the wheels were 18x9.5. me and a friend had been talking about his 08 shelby with 305/45/18, and i ordered the 305/40's because of the 1'' height difference. i went ahead and ordered a set of FRPP 18'' shelby wheels like the 2010 vert from Tousley. if any one is wanting to order those wheels call Steve, he gave me a great deal, i got all 4 wheels and the tpms with tool for 829 shipped.

nocobrafornow

Established Member
tpms

can we reuse the tps sensors from our stockers? if not that blows...

i'm not sure, the new ones are mounted to the stem itself, they don't use the band type anymore. and i really don't want to break my stock ones down, i want to leave them intact and put them away. my only ? is to the guys using slicks and skinies is the tire monitor turning on when you drive on them if not why put them in the new ones. should have asked this first.

kevinp

Established Member
You can re-use the sensors, just have to buy the kits with the new valve stem, tire place charged me 6.00 each for them.

The tire light will come on with no sensors, takes a while though.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
What kit are you talking about? I would have thought since you used the stock sensors you puled the entire stem and out and all of that went into the new wheel :shrug:

kevinp

Established Member
What kit are you talking about? I would have thought since you used the stock sensors you puled the entire stem and out and all of that went into the new wheel :shrug:

Its hard to pull the valve stems off without damaging them, the sensors can be removed from the valve stem. The 'kit' is just new valve stems.

kevinp

Established Member
Ooh i see. So you mean they are literally just new standard valve stems that any tire shop would carry?

Not exactly, the valve stems have a little fitting that the sensor attaches to. They just left the original stems in my original wheels and removed the sensors, the OE stems can still be used w/o the sensors. The stems look like regular ones except they have a little brass post that the sensor attaches to so they arent plain old everyday stems, the local tire place had them in stock.

I'm sure you could be be careful and remove the original stems and reuse them but for 6.00 each I figured why take a chance.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Oh alright, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah as long as the shop has them I'll spend the few bucks on new ones probably.

Users who are viewing this thread