3000 Mile road trip to car show with some pics

shelbymopar89

Established Member
Well guys just got back from a litlle over 3K miles round trip to Mopar Nationals. Had a ton of fun and met up with a lot of old buddies. Had zero issues on the trip but some before and after. I finished the car up toward the end of last year and decided for the build to put a dual diaphram pressure plate it in. Bad idea clutch was killer on my leg in traffic, broke two clutch cables and hated the feel of it. I decided to swap it out and finished two days before the drive to Ohio. Was out doing some road testing the night before the trip and pegged the water temp high. Come to find out the factory crimped CSR electric waterpump wire was not crimped into the connector well. Recrimped it and headed home, backed the car into the garage and the rear tire was going flat. I thought damn this is not good before a 1400 miles trip! I soldered the connections and found it was the valve stem leaking. Had that replaced and had a flawless trip up, around and back down to FL. Backed the car in the garage last night and had a right front going down, dumb luck I know. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. Ends up the valve stem is leaking on it too. My best guess is while the tires were setting for a little over four years doing the build they dry rotted inside? Makes me wonder about the general condition of the tires too. I am going to have all the valve stems replaced and go from there. I used road wrap for the trip and I am very pleased with the product! It is stronger than it looks, goes on very easy and did not pull any paint or stripes off when I removed it. I will say that it is not real pretty, but very functional. This is a great replacement for the blue tape on track days. It does have to go on a clean vehicle and some did peel off, I just kept a razor and trimmed it when I stopped for gas. Speaking of gas I managed to pull 36 MPG on the highway with cruise control set (will not boost while cruise is set) Enough babbling here are some pics. The Challenger, Cuda and Road Runner were some of my buddies that I met up with in WV.
P.S. There is a Mustang guy in one of the pictures, we will see if he chimes in.....
nicedaytona179.jpg

daytona284.jpg

daytonainterior286.jpg

daytonainterior285.jpg

100_0552.jpg

08-08-2009D1017.jpg

08-08-2009D1016.jpg

Last edited:

shelbymopar89

Established Member
I ended up taking 2nd in the show, a white 92 IROC Daytona beat me out of first. I was kinda angry when I talked to the judge. You had to be there so they could check the horn, turn signals, headlights, radio, ect. Well the judge said to me too bad we don't judge the undercarrage of the car, I said why not. He said they try to keep the playing field even between the trailer queens and the driven cars. Well I drove the car from FL and I had mirrors under it. The car that won was a local car with no mirrors under it..... If you are going to judge the car then judge it for what it is, not how it got there. Hell, if I knew that I would not have spent a few hours under the car the day proir to the show cleaning it all up. The whole trip was nice weather till I hit WV and it poured the rain down. On the way back same thing except I hit rain in GA and FL. So now I have a dirty ass car with a flat tire setting in the garage. No worries though, with all my friends up there it was well worth the good times I had with them and enjoying cruising down the road in the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread