$300 to spend, what would you do.

finally03gt

Established Member
I work oil field and times are lean, so I'm watching the budget these days. But I have about $300 to spend on a stock non SVTPP car.
I also just bought a '96 F-350 with the 7.3 powerstroke (sold another vehicle to buy the F-350 to pull a trailer). I know this is SVT blasphemy, but for $300, I could buy a down pipe and intake kit, which I'm told really wakes those trucks up. It already has a tune.
My problem with the Shelby is that $300 doesn't go far. BUT, the Shelby is my girl.
So treat the pick up, or ???? for the Shelby.

finally03gt

Established Member
I love that idea, except..... it will end up disappearing into a ball gown, or dance tights. with 4 daughters, I spend when given the opportunity..lol. Those offers expire in this house, haha.

Really leaning toward the powerstroke stuff. I think it will give me more bang for the buck...

nxhappy

Established Member
get a catless H pipe. You will gain 15whp, and it will sound VERY nice. Lethal sells them....

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Pick up a used 2.6" pulley, SCT3, and a tune. That will wake your car up, and you won't even think about spending money on the truck :D

finally03gt

Established Member

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
What about one rear tire to look at until you have another 300, power mods will just make the stock tires spin more. Plus you'll have an excuse to tell the wife to buy the other one.

finally03gt

Established Member
What about one rear tire to look at until you have another 300, power mods will just make the stock tires spin more. Plus you'll have an excuse to tell the wife to buy the other one.

Haha.. that's funny. I buy tires out of the check book. The Shelby is my daily driver, so that is a legitimate expense, not play money. MSPP 295/35 19 coming soon, and dang are they pricey. But, the 275/35 19 I put up front have me convinced they are worth it.

An Aeroforce gauge looks cool and would give you some real time read outs also.

Dash Command and Torque Pro take care of that. Dash command has a great display, and Torque Pro track recorder plug in is way too much fun.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
You can get a used pulley, probably close to free / $50... a used SCT for $100, and a fresh tune for $99???

You won't even think its the same car!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I was thinking that. BMR. You have a favorite?

I only have experience with the stock arms, Bob's Auto Sport billet aluminum LCAs w/ urethane bushings, and BMR double adjustable rod ends LCAs. For me and how I like to drive, the BMR solid rod end LCAs are my favorite so far. The additional noise is VERY negligible. And I'm a guy who despises excess NVH in cars. The Bob's LCAs were great, too! Less gear whine transmitted with those.

For those that want the best of both worlds, BMR actually has a solution. They have an LCA with urethane bushing on the body end and adjustable solid rod on the axle end; more control than billet/boxed LCAs but less noise than double rod end. (In theory, anyway. I haven't tried those.) One thing with the Bob's, though. I don't know if it was workmanship or me driving too hard, but one of the bushings started to yaw out of its housing. It never came out and didn't appear to affect handling. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen it while greasing the fittings one day. The cause may have been as simple as not having enough grease in that bushing. I can't remember if it was still tweaked when I swapped them for the BMRs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread