300 RWHP club?

Mattz

Established Member
Who all has reached atleast 300 rwhp? And what are the mods? The 01 cobra I have has Aluminum DS, 4.10 gears, full bassani x and catback, with JBA shorty headers, and the guy got it dyno tuned at an SAE corrected 279 hp... seems kinda low doesn't it? This was in cali so I dunno how big a diff gas plays.

Mattz

Established Member
blk96SVT said:
Seems a little low, but you never know. No, Cobras (99/01) are rated at 320 flywheel hp.
What I was thinking, when I asked him about it he said that Cali gas seems to play a pretty decent effect, which I could believe, hes a pretty smart guy who is a mechanic... but I was thinking about maybe in the future saving up some money and getting it tuned again..

1SickSnake

Established Member
Average rwhp on a stock '99-'01 cobra is around 268-273 rwhp. However, thier are some factory freeks that will put down 278-290 rwhp.

Mattz

Established Member
1SickSnake said:
Average rwhp on a stock '99-'01 cobra is around 268-273 rwhp. However, thier are some factory freeks that will put down 278-290 rwhp.
So either way, I'm not pushing what I should be? I was thinking I should be around the 300 mark.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Yeah 270s stock rwhp is pretty normal/average. I put down 272 rwhp bone stock w/ the paper filter and air silencer in place. We have the benefit of 93 octane where I live though.

I'd say 300 rwhp should be attainable pretty easily ( and even relatively inexpensive ) w/ a good CAI ( JLT seems to be the best ) cat-back/mid-pipe, under-drive pulleys and a tune w/ either a hand-held like the Diablosport or a dyno tune shop.

Good luck! :beer:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
tapout632 said:
hmm.. '01 cobras should dyno at like 300-310rwhp stock

300-310 rwhp is around 355-365 at the crank a little high for a '01. I would think 275 to 285 rwhp would be normal for a stock car.

You should be pushing a bit more, 305-315 rwhp with your mods.

Last edited:

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
tapout632 said:
hmm.. '01 cobras should dyno at like 300-310rwhp stock

ummm no.. they are rated at 320 at the flywheel.. which puts them down to about... 370 ish at the wheels stock. Thats with a 16% drivetrain loss.

My old setup- K&N FIPK Cold air kit, BBK Underdrive pullies, Magnaflow O/R X and welded in Magnaflow mufflers, Hypertech Programmer

With these mods I regularly put down 302 rwhp/299 rwtq. The motor was hot, cold, whatever the temp I put down the same. Then untuned with cams I put 310 rwhp/ 306 rwtq. But that was an aweful setup because of the computer fighting the cams.

Last edited:

Mattz

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys, kind of what I figured. Guess I'll have to save up some money and go get it dyno tuned again.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
With my current setup, I should be right at 300- 305 rwhp. The last dyno pull i made was with just my midpipe. C&L lists their maf forward as being an 11-16 hp boost on our 99's and list dyno sheets that prove it on otherwise stock cars. I'll know in the spring for certain though.

So basically, stock tune + O/R X + MAF forward intake = 300+ rwhp.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Mattz said:
Who all has reached atleast 300 rwhp? And what are the mods? The 01 cobra I have has Aluminum DS, 4.10 gears, full bassani x and catback, with JBA shorty headers, and the guy got it dyno tuned at an SAE corrected 279 hp... seems kinda low doesn't it? This was in cali so I dunno how big a diff gas plays.

Mattz - do you have a cold-air intake? I'll bet your exhaust setup is outflowing your intake - you can push plenty of exhaust out, but you're having trouble getting enough air in to take advantage of it. Get a CAI kit (JLT or Densecharger), and I'll bet you'll see a lot more power. Also, underdrive pulleys should free up a few horsies. That will probably put you near or above 300 HP.

The aluminum DS won't add horsepower, although it does reduce rotational mass (resulting in faster acceleration, in theory).

I assume you can only get 91 octane (Cali gas) - that can reduce your power because the computer may be forced to pull timing to stave off detonation. It's not that the gas itself can produce less power, just that the computer can't take full advantage of timing.

One of the reasons I love the midwest.

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
Snarf said:
With my current setup, I should be right at 300- 305 rwhp. The last dyno pull i made was with just my midpipe. C&L lists their maf forward as being an 11-16 hp boost on our 99's and list dyno sheets that prove it on otherwise stock cars. I'll know in the spring for certain though.

So basically, stock tune + O/R X + MAF forward intake = 300+ rwhp.

Umm... we need to see dyno on that. I don't always go by what companies say on their products mainly because they tend to embelish a bit for sales and because each car responds differently. But the proof is in the pudding.

GodStang

Established Member
I was 269 HP SAE Stock on my 01. I have since P&P intake, CAI, Underdrive pully, and Fr500 exhaust. I dyno saturday so I hope for 300 +.

Users who are viewing this thread