30.9 mpg's from ProCal'd 2012 5.0L Automatic

KC Henry

Established Member
My gf and I went for a lil cruise last night, and I decided to snap a picture.

Highest we saw for the night was just a tad over 31 mpgs.

Not too bad for a lowly Automatic Mustang GT with a ProCal tune that seems frowned-upon by so many.

16e8cc1a-687b-4101-977c-b200270cbb70.jpg

KC Henry

Established Member
Lol, I'm sure there are plenty of people getting better mpg, I just wanted to share since there are so many people out there against Ford Racing's PorCal Tuner.

KC Henry

Established Member
I would agree with that completely!

If modding beyond the point of Warranty is your thing, then no, the ProCal is definitely not the tune for you, and your better off with a Custom Dyno tune.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
My 5.0 says around 28mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 70. Always wondered how accurate that was, or wasn't.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Assuming your rear end gear and rev per mile is properly calibrated in the tune (read as "odometer is registering correctly"), then the best way to calculate TRUE miles per gallon is using the website below.

www.fuelly.com

I have been using it for a long time, as it helps me see what the car costs to drive (how many cents per mile). It also allows me to keep notes and map trends in efficiency changes. All I do is drive, fill up the car, and keep the receipt from the gas pump. I write down the miles driven (taken from the odometer) on the receipt. Later, I go online and add the information to my fuelly account. This gives you a true representation of efficiency over time, not only those short drives when you reset the mpg gauge while the car is in motion, and you keep the speed at or under 55 mph.

fuelly_zps392fc55a.jpg

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
dude you must never ever get on it. i think im at 14 mpg. i know at one time it was around 12.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Those factory mpg numbers are off...all of them are. Normally 3-4 mpg at a minimum.

Use the pen and paper method...it's never wrong.

KC Henry

Established Member
I know the computer estimated "average" mpg is not at all rock solid accurate or anything, but it can show a upward or downward "trend" in fuel mileage within reason.

As mentioned previously, the best way to get a more accurate reading is the pen and paper method listed above.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I know the computer estimated "average" mpg is not at all rock solid accurate or anything, but it can show a upward or downward "trend" in fuel mileage within reason.

As mentioned previously, the best way to get a more accurate reading is the pen and paper method listed above.

I agree, the 2012 Focus reads 30.5 mpg on the dash after ~10,000 miles of no reset. However, the miles/gallons method used by Fuelly.com says that it's actually 28.8 mpg. That a difference of 1.7 mpg. Every Ford car I have driven showed close to a 2 mpg higher reading on the dash than hand calculated methods.

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
Those factory mpg numbers are off...all of them are. Normally 3-4 mpg at a minimum.

Use the pen and paper method...it's never wrong.

I agree, the 2012 Focus reads 30.5 mpg on the dash after ~10,000 miles of no reset. However, the miles/gallons method used by Fuelly.com says that it's actually 28.8 mpg. That a difference of 1.7 mpg. Every Ford car I have driven showed close to a 2 mpg higher reading on the dash than hand calculated methods.

That's weird when I reset the trip odometer it's has always been almost dead on gallons used to gallons I just put in the tank never more than .2 gallons off. Guess I'm lucky

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I'll keep my AED tune and my 19 mpg, thanks.

If I was worried about fuel mileage, I'd have bought a Prius.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread