3 Trannys 2600M, Help/Advice Please. Long

ltv1

Established Member
Sorry for the long post.

I joined and posted here because the knowledge base and membership is huge. I am basically a lurker, as I am not a mechanic, just an enthusiast. I read and learn.

Since my wife traded in her 2001 for the 2003 we have regretted it ever since. Sure, the engine is awesome. It helps though if you can put that power thru a transmission and to the street.

The 2003 has 2600 miles on it, and after it is flat bedded off tomorrow it will be going on its third tranny. I don't recall taking the 2001 in for anything other than routine stuff.

If this has happened to anyone with a T-56 please let me know. Or advice on how to dump this lemon. Lemon Law or whatever. Or how to fix it to wail on it. Anything.

It will semi-shift when cold, problem gets much worse when hot. Worse to the point you wonder if you can get home. Loud clutch/flywheel noise. Forget about performance driving. It has a Pro 5.0 shifter. Only mods are KN, Dr. Gas X-pipe and Delta Flows.

It kind of blows that we got a lemon, because even when it gets back from Ford, I am going to be too paranoid to stomp on it, or even drive it. My wife bought it and is far from as demanding on cars as me.

The car has never had slicks on it, been to the track or beat, other than an occasional drop in race against Camaro's yet the half shafts sound like Mexican Jumping Beans.

If the FUBAR engine stuff is true, that is the icing on the cake. I am not even really that angry, just disappointed. 35K for a shop queen. This was probably going to be my last fast car. A truck is far more practical, and they ain’t cheap no more either.

Thanks in advance for any responses, Larry.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Lemon law in most states is "three strikes and you're out". If Ford doesn't conclusively fix your tranny problem this time, call the number...Not sure how you break 3 T56's though....That's rough. Good Luck man.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Are you for real?

How could you have a lemon?

3 transmissions are lemons? In 2600 miles? There has not been one failure reported on this Forum. You talk about your transmission, then half shafts....sorry, but a one-thread post this scattered is hard to accept. Half-shafts do not just go bad unless the car is seriously abused.

ltv1

Established Member
No, I am delusional. I do this for kicks

Nobody but me has crap transmissions.

That is the reason I asked for help or advice why the damned thing is always in the shop with tranny trouble.

Sorry for the "scattered" post, but I was told the clicking noise was the halfshafts. I *did not* treat this car any more harshly than the 2001. Besides WTF would I have to do to trash 3 trannys in 2600 miles? 160 MPH shifts into 1st ?

By providing more information I was hoping someone could tell me if it was a clutch problem, flywheel, driveshaft, etc. You did none of these things. I don't appreciate hostility or snide comments directed towards me, a long time poster or not. My post was not inflammatory.

If I wanted that I would still post on RAMFM. Thank You to the first poster for advice on the Lemon Law. Forget I even registered and posted, I will hash the rest out myself, as usual. :shrug:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Wasn't being hostile, just challenging. Your post just is hard to fathom based on the many months of posts by hundreds of owners on this Forum. There have also been a number of "odd' posts of the same kind: examples
1) A guy posted his engine just blew up - he was challenged to show pictures or a repair invoice - we never saw him again
2) Another guy said he had a cam follower give out - have not seen any more on that one either
3) And yes, I may be wrong, but no one has reported a failure of one transmission, let alone 3! One, yes, But two more would have to be installation screw ups. There are plenty of guys with built up engines near 500 rwhp who have not broken trannies, diffs - there have been a few half shaft complaints but that is something we all expected.

Okay, let's assume you are for real. I cannot think of a flywheel, clutch, or driveshaft problem that would cause the failures you mentioned. What is the nature of the failures? Just saying the tranny gave out is not enough info.

We will work with you, but my guess is others are a bit stand-offish on this one for the reasons I am (was).

May I ask if you joined other Stang Forums, and if so, what responses have you gotten there?

Oh, and near what major city is Ranch House Hell anyway?

Last edited:

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
I have had a 98 Z28 and have a 98 WS6 Formula both have the T56. I have power shifted at 6800 rpms with both cars and have never had a problem. If you have gone through 2 T56's and are working on your third, it is a manufactuers problem, not Ford. The cars I own are excessivey modified and still never a problem with the trans. Good luck and sorry to hear your misfortune.

Oh, it does sound like a flywheel or driveshaft problem. The only thing I can think of would be maybe the car is being shifted with out the clutch fully engaged......if this is the case this would eat up the synchonizers in the trans. My ex-girlfriend did this in her VTEC prelude twice.

kom

Established Member
PM me your vin and I'll run an Oasis report on it. That should show the trans issue under warranty repair. That will make people believe you have the problem. Makes no diference to me one way or the other. You say you have a trans problem, I believe you.

kom

Established Member
Not yet. But then again, I have a cable modem and it shows that I'm logged in all the time here because I leave my computer on 24-7 and leave about 10 browser windows open...

ltv1

Established Member
Ranch House Hell is Tampa

This is the whole skinny
Bought car

Stock shifter was replaced with Pro 5.0 after everyone else did it.
Started noticing loud clunking when shifting into first at a light (as a test I went from first to second with clutch in clunk-clunk.) then it started grinding shifting into first, and into fourth. When it was hot you literally had to muscle it into gear. Could not get into sixth period. Took it to my speed shop, he flat bedded it to Ford for tranny number one. Syncro's.

When we got it back it was like a new car (not stock, you know what I mean). It was sweet. The clutch was not as stiff, but I figured it must be properly adjusted to run this well. Then….

Basically a repeat of the first incident without the fourth gear grind, and you have to slowly guide it into gear but it will go. 3,4,5,6 gears are possible without muscle. First gear grinds like hell and reverse is mush. Loud clunk. Did they just make some adjustments and send us packin', I know warranty work is not popular. I don't know.

I drove the car very fast at times, but only on bridges. 160 MPH dozens of times, I hit 170 with my 2001. I stopped after someone here pointed out that a jet takes off at 175. Our bridges rule for speed runs, not one bump and flat as Kansas. And looong.

I only raced from a roll and only about four times (Felony here, lose car so I am cautious) The only flat shifting was 1st to 2nd at 5500 rpm and that was about 10(?) or less times when I was playing quarter miler, never redlined, only when I missed 3rd on occasion.

Grand total of 2 smoke shows (crime here) With guys running these at tracks with slicks I would like to know WTF is going on myself.

I have deep sixed most Mustang groups, as some of the information is idiotic or there are always troll wars going on, so I am sorry if I sounded hostile. This group is the best large one.

It is going to Ford tomorrow. Radiator Cap=One week Engine=One week.

People waiting for them to start making Cobra's again might want to keep this in mind. I think the trannys are shite myself, because I don't abuse them enough to trash them. If you can speed shift a monster like a WS6 without problems, I would have to be a complete mongoloid to go through three.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Provided you and your wife know how to drive a stick, the problem is the clutch adjustment.

If you want to fix the problem, install an aftermarket clutch quadrant and a firewall adjuster.

From experience with my '03, where I had to adjust the clutch all the time (simple procedure, just pull up on the clutch pedal). I believe the factory spring that tensions the cable is not strong enough for the heavy clutch in the '03.

Quick primer on the "auto" adjuster that has been standard for over twenty years. The quadrant and "paw" have teeth that mesh together. When you pull up on the clutch pedal, a medal tab lifts the paw, which also is spring loaded, away from the quadrant. Then the quadrant, which is spring loaded is rotated by the quadrant spring in the direction to take up free play in the cable.

When it doesn't, the T-56 is impossible to get into gear, because the clutch is never fully disengaged. When you do jam it into gear, it is hard on the internals, because they are all partially "loaded"

On top of that maybe there is something wrong with your paw or quadrant that exascerbates that situation.

Other than the drivers, the clutch and it's adjustment are the constant for your failed transmissions. IMHO, I have adequately stress tested mine, I can vouch for the typical ones strength.

With my new set up, my trans shifts 100 times better than before.

JT

[email protected] on 275/40 17 DR's

Last edited:

ltv1

Established Member
That has to be it, or at least some adjustment.

There is no way to tank a T-56 in a couple hundred miles. It is probably out of adjustment. Gonna take the old flashlight out and check it out. Yes, my wife not only drives them, she is the one that buys them. I like both, but if they gave me a new Lightning instead of the Cobra I could care less. She is very good with "sticks".:p

ltv1

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
Provided you and your wife know how to drive a stick, the problem is the clutch adjustment.

If you want to fix the problem, install an aftermarket clutch quadrant and a firewall adjuster.

From experience with my '03, where I had to adjust the clutch all the time (simple procedure, just pull up on the clutch pedal). I believe the factory spring that tensions the cable is not strong enough for the heavy clutch in the '03.

Quick primer on the "auto" adjuster that has been standard for over twenty years. The quadrant and "paw" have teeth that mesh together. When you pull up on the clutch pedal, a medal tab lifts the paw, which also is spring loaded, away from the quadrant. Then the quadrant, which is spring loaded is rotated by the quadrant spring in the direction to take up free play in the cable.

When it doesn't, the T-56 is impossible to get into gear, because the clutch is never fully disengaged. When you do jam it into gear, it is hard on the internals, because they are all partially "loaded"

On top of that maybe there is something wrong with your paw or quadrant that exascerbates that situation.

Other than the drivers, the clutch and it's adjustment are the constant for your failed transmissions. IMHO, I have adequately stress tested mine, I can vouch for the typical ones strength.

With my new set up, my trans shifts 100 times better than before.

JT

[email protected] on 275/40 17 DR's

:thumbsup: Check out the big brain on jtfx6552 props to you! I went out and noticed a lot of slop in the clutch, like I said it was softer than before the last tranny was put in.

Going down the road I kept yanking up on the clutch, holding for a spell then shifting. It appears to have worked. The big test was the first gear grind. If I pulled up on the clutch I could not only go into first, but I could downshift into first, not that I have a reason to, but no grind. I hope you don’t mind, but I printed your post for the Ford techs tomorrow. They need guidance, I guess.

While it is under warranty that is built into the cost of the vehicle, they can get the neck cramps and try to get the job done correctly this time. My wife has to take it there, I was going to pull one of their punk ass cords once for mouthing off to my her and created quite a row. She wont let me go in, she thinks I have "anger management issues".:cuss:

See, it is kinda warm here usually, our season is starting now. It is quite impressive to see what these cars will wind out when it is less than 95 degrees and 100% humidity. This requires various drivetrain components that have regularly malfunctioned on my car.

Now that I know what to look for, as the ricers say, “It’s all Good”
That is why I came here instead of filtering thru f**king wax debates and "ricer kills" on other poser NG's. Peace.

ltv1

Established Member
and the other stuff

Originally posted by 03DOHC
I see that they replaced the trans once for a grind into 4th gear.
Right, trans number two went in then. A lot more than "grind into 4th gear", but even that is bad enough. The second is now acting up but from the post I am going to run with I am hoping it is just the clutch, or they are buying the thing back. I guess I can't get a new one until they find out what is wrong with the engines.

2HORSE CORRAL

From my past working experiance make sure they replace the pilot bearing too, as this will cause the same symptoms even if the clutch is O.K.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Originally posted by 2horse
From my past working experiance make sure they replace the pilot bearing too, as this will cause the same symptoms even if the clutch is O.K.

Good point 2horse.

Users who are viewing this thread