3 quick FTBR IRS Bushing Kit Questions

Canman2531

Established Member
I’ve been reading the forums for all I can about the FTBR IRS kit, watching vids, etc., and I finally pulled the trigger. I ordered the FTBR IRS 5001 kit (kit + Delrin Rear differential lowering mount) along with the Ford Racing Reinforced IRS Rear Diff Cover milled for clearance.

Before I tackle this project, I had a few questions. I changed the rear differential and gears in my 03 gt but that was years ago now, and I vividly remember all the time spent shimming, etc and I’d like to avoid doing that again here.

First, is it necessary that I remove the half shafts from the differential for this project? Are they held into the differential by c-clips or something (basically, will they fall out when disconnected from the control arms)?

Second, I’ve noticed that while doing this install, some people have found issues with their half shafts, but to be honest, I’m not really sure what I should be looking for upon inspection. Any tips?

Finally, I’m a little scared to mess with the driveline angle, does anyone have any tips on that?

Thanks in advance.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Unless you're changing gears you won't have to mess with shimming and all that. Swapping out the diff cover is as simple as unbolting the old one and bolting the new one on to the correct torque specs.

The half shafts pop out from the diff. I use a pry bar and they usually come out with very little force. The big thing is to make sure the inner CV is supported so you don't tear the seal when removing and installing the half shafts. I really can't see working on the diff and stuff with them still installed.

Check the boots and for any play in the CV joints. If the boots are torn, but the CV joints are good you can regrease them and replace the boots. But if you're not hearing any noises right now chances are you'll be ok.

For the driveline angle I followed the instructions about putting most of the spacers under the pinion in order to get it as high as possible. No issues yet and it's been a few thousand miles.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's always the hardest part. But then it's like christmas when the parts show up.

Users who are viewing this thread