3" mufflers; magnaflow, borla, kooks? want no drone

ryan319

Established Member
My car has kooks headers with 3" o/r x-pipe and exhaust. The mufflers are dronemaster super 40's and I absolutely hate them. This is the 3rd car that I purchased with flowmaster mufflers and will be the 3rd car that I remove them from. I can't believe people still buy them, the drone at highway speeds is horrible.

So I'm looking to build a new axle back. I'm considering Borla proxs, Kooks, or Magnaflow performance mufflers with probably a 4" tip. Any have any experience with these mufflers? Not too much worried about the flow because they're all pretty close. I just want something that rips at WOT but doesn't drone so bad I can't have a conversation while cruising. I prefer a more exotic sound than a deep muscle car sound. I've read that Corsa is good for no drone but the mufflers are like $200 each.

I looked at Dynomax VT's but I have no faith in mufflers with springs inside.

15PSI

Established Member
I have used MBRP catbacks on many of the Mustangs I have owned. I used them with Kooks and Dynatech with X-Pipes and there was zero drone. They are well made and priced reasonably. They are a bit loud on cold start (mostly my tune), but quiet down nicely under day to day pedal. But when you go WOT, they become a different animal.

fullsyz

Established Member
I'm running ARH LT's, 3" O/R H-pipe, and Borla Pro XS mufflers. The drawback is there is no bolt on Pro XS axleback. Had to have them welded in, which isn't a big deal for an exhaust shop. The advantage is minimal drone, true 3" set-up front to back, and killer sound.

ryan319

Established Member
I'm running ARH LT's, 3" O/R H-pipe, and Borla Pro XS mufflers. The drawback is there is no bolt on Pro XS axleback. Had to have them welded in, which isn't a big deal for an exhaust shop. The advantage is minimal drone, true 3" set-up front to back, and killer sound.

What sort of exhaust tip? Any pics?

ryan319

Established Member

Do you recall the part #?

fullsyz

Established Member
We started with Dynomax cat back 39460, cut out the mufflers, and welded in Borla 40359's. I have some pics I can load later.

sleek98

Established Member
I have MBRP LT off road 3" h pipe, to their 3" street cat back. I havent had it on the highway, Will let you know next week when I get back to the car. I have taken it around town and it sounds good. Low speeds its throaty but not crazy loud. Did a couple quick blasts to 3,500 and it sounds like its going to eat a bus full of kids. I think I am going to have 3" resonators put on.

reeve_ryan

Established Member
X-pipe back, add bullet resonators and kr mufflers with custom 4" tips (yes going from a 3.5" to a 4" tip does change the note). Absolutely no drone and nascar loud when it needs to be.

I'm sure there are better options but I some how got this combo to work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread