3 lentech trans broken in 4 months!!

wheelin

Established Member
After speaking with Lentech about what I will need to convert my mustang to an auto, I purchased his street terminator plus(3499 $) his recommended single disk convertor (445 $) which all were rated to handle my power output 530RWHP. The converson was done by Browns bros performance division.

First trans lasted 1 month of use.First gear would free wheel when you came to a stop. Took the car in to browns and they spoke with Len at great lengths.Len wanted some testing done,line pressure tested,shifter linkage taken apart and put back on. All tested good len wanted the trans back so I paid 800$ in shipping to and from ,len charged me his 995$ liftime limited warrenty and when the trans return 3 weeks later. I paid 1000$ for re and re plus convertor clean. Total 2795$

Second trans installed,Len sent a baumanator tune (more line pressure)fix drove my car home.Car lasted less than 30 miles same issue free wheeling in first gear. Len frustrated told me to take my car to a real trans shop.Bobs driveline highly recommened worked with Len suspiciouns, line pressures tests,gear shifter looked at and computer diagnostic on trans.Bobs and Lens conclusion internal problem. This time Len waived shipping costs and his 995$ limited lifetime warrenty. My bill 1100$ re and re and diagnostic time.

Third trans an entirely new unit,I refused to pay another convertor cleaning so Len agreed to shipped a new convertor and trans it arrived 6-7 weeks later as my car waited at the shop. This one seemed all good till i ran it WOT 1ST threw 3RD gear and a loud bang in the middle of 3rd gear.Car left me stranded had to be towed back to bobs driveline.

Bob pulled the trans input shaft broken. Called Len he refused to cover shipping and or waive his 995$ limited lifetime warrenty. So looking at another 1700 plus in warrenty and shipping cost again I chose Bob to fix the input shaft. This is what Bob discovered,hey mike,found out why your input shaft broke,your torque turbine is broke,this is a stock convertor from a lincon not a performance car.It does not have a steel turbine like it should. Len tech offered out of good will to send an input shaft.I emailed Len why he sent this crappy non steel turbine convertor knowing my power output. Lens reply "it is our professional opinion that the torque convertor and the input shaft broke simutaneously , while YOU where operating YOUR vehical,and indicates neither defect. They could only have broken due to ABUSE by YOU,the operator,in form of a incorrect gear selction while driving". I sent him a reply im in a wheelchair my right hand has NO fuction it is physically impossible to change gears while driving. NO REPLY

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0088.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

Bob also found these issues inside a brand NEW LENTECH STRIP TERMANATOR with 2 weeks of use.Sun gear bushings very loose,worn out servo and acc. pistons very hard,sun shell and rev drum lugs worn. Car as we speak is at the shop ,trans needs a rebuild and a new convertor, so far bill is over 3000 $

86merc

Established Member
That sucks to hear. I refuse to deal with them after spending all of 3 minutes on the phone with Len years ago.

My AOD has been in my car for years. I have never had an issue with it on the street or the track. And that is with 900+ rear wheel horse power. It has had one round of maintenance when I upgraded the case to a SFI bell housing. Where it was torn down, cleaned, inspected, case machines and had new clutches were installed. The clutchs had been hot as you would expect after the abuse it gets in just over two years. There is a lot of info on the AOD family of transmissions out there. I read up, collected parts and went to a local trans shop. Told him exactly what I wanted done. He understood me completely but said it would never last. haha "Knock on wood" it is still doing great.

If you need some suggestions or help try clickclickracing.com. There are a lot of guys over there that have experience and knowledge with the AOD. And are very willing to help others out. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

Brutal DSG

Angry Turtle
Established Member
Freddy brown transmissions installed many had problems with none
Fbperformance.com something is up with his site at this moment unfortunatley

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread