3 inch Muffler Delete Options?

Boostedtres

Established Member
Asked this question last fall, didnt get much of an answer. Searched and searched, emailed vendors and performance shops, without much success. Which may mean there is no viable option.

Have 3in JBA Catted X-Pipe, 3 in JBA CBE from previous owner. Sounds terrible. Quiet, drones, etc. I want to go muffler delete or something like the Roush Extreme, but its all 2.5inch piping not 3 inch and I dont want to ditch the hi-flow cats.

Any options out there? I am begining to think i have to physically cut the mufflers out and weld in a higher flow muffler (Bassani) or just bend some 3 inch piping to fit.

If I didnt want to make the back of my car all black i would just leave them off completely. Thanks in advance for any and all help ladies/gents.

Willie

Established Member
18-inch length of pipe + exhaust shop =
05539.JPG

Super simple and CHEAP!!

Boostedtres

Established Member
Willie -- thanks for the suggestion and picture. It looks great! Where did you cut the CBE ? It looks like you left some of the x-pipe and just welded it on? Or did you remove the mufflers and use the OEM clamp, then just weld the tips? Looks super clean, and would love a factory look like that. do you have any more details or pics you can provide? how is the sound? Still have the deep growl and decel popping?

any more details you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I am thinking this is the easiest, potential cheaper, route.

Thanks in advance, appreciated Willie (and any one else)

Willie

Established Member
The pic I posted was taken many years ago on GT500 #1 (see my signature), and I could not find very many pics of the exhaust I had on it. But I have something similar on #2 and I DO have pics of it. It started as a 3-inch Bassani system from the stock exhaust manifolds back. It includes Bassani cats. From this system, I added Classic Chambered Exhaust's 3-inch chambered mufflers in front of the axle, and their 3-inch resonators behind the axle.

http://www.classicchambered.com/index.html

The tips are 4-inch Stainless Works'.

Sound? Awesome! It is perfect for my tastes.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a set of Flowmaster Outlaws that I am going to be taking off and they sound good just throwing on headers so it will be way to loud

they look good only been on my car about 100 miles or so. Let me know or text 915-246-4847 if interested

Boostedtres

Established Member
Willie -- thanks again for the advice. I will look into those options. your first picture looks great, did you cut the original muffler up and just weld the straight pipe in there? or did you remove the entire muffler system and go custom? I tried to pull the mufflers off last night to see how it would sound, but got to the bolt that connect the two pipes and the nut was frozen. no luck there. Hesitant to cut up the JBA until I know it will sound good. Custom exhaust place could prob fab something up, just need to order the tips.

How did yours sound? loudness, popping, raspiness etc? Just trying to get a general idea. the cats should keep the raspiness down, but we'll see.

GT500^^ thanks for the offer. The outlaws are only 2.5 inch tho, right? Damn, if they were bolt on 3 inch i would pick those up from you. Thanks

Willie

Established Member
....did you cut the original muffler up and just weld the straight pipe in there? or did you remove the entire muffler system and go custom?

Well, the original system is 2-1/2" and I went 3" from the exhaust manifolds back, so no cutting of my original system. It now resides in my attic intact.

How did yours sound? loudness, popping, raspiness etc? Just trying to get a general idea. the cats should keep the raspiness down, but we'll see

From 1 to 10, my current system is probably a 7 when driving "normally". At WOT, it's sounds like open headers, a 10.

With different exhausts, it's all subjective on personal taste. I could love it and the next guy hate it. It's so hard to go on one person's opinion, only to not like what you chose. It took me numerous configurations over many years (bought #1 in Nov 2007) to get to where I can say, "I am done."

No popping. Raspiness, only a very little.

Boostedtres

Established Member
Gotcha. Yes, I have 3 in xpipe and 3inc CBE. I would like to maintain the full 3 inches. So you just added a 3inch straight pipe from where the OEM muffers are attached (right behind the axle)? It looks like it only needs one bend, but from your pic it looks as if it is just 18 inches straight, no bends.

to confirm (sorry, im exhausted), you simply removed your axle back muffler section, and had a custom 3 inch pipe (no mufflers) bent by the axle then straight out the back with new tips welded in, correct? How much did it cost you if you dont mind me asking?

Agreed on the personal preference. I prefer LOUD. Not raspy, hoping the cats keep the deep tone, just need more volume. My other car has 3.5 inch custom straight pipes from the turbo back with just one high flow aeroturbine muffler, that car is insanely loud, and i love it. JBA is a 4 driving and maybe a 7 WOT. resulting in me going WOT way too much.

Sorry for the long message, want to make sure i take your expertise and make the right choice the first (well second) time. Your the man, thanks again for everything.

Willie

Established Member
It looks like it only needs one bend, but from your pic it looks as if it is just 18 inches straight, no bends.

There is one very slight bend just in front of the tip. Imagine the angle the straight pipe is at in relation to the tip. It's so slight that it really isn't worth a mandrel bend.... IMO...

to confirm (sorry, im exhausted), you simply removed your axle back muffler section, and had a custom 3 inch pipe (no mufflers) bent by the axle then straight out the back with new tips welded in, correct? How much did it cost you if you dont mind me asking?

Pretty much.
I don't recall the cost. It was many years ago and I also had a pair of mufflers installed in front of the axle at the same time.

Agreed on the personal preference. I prefer LOUD. Not raspy, hoping the cats keep the deep tone, just need more volume.

Well then I believe you would love my setup. My neighbors don't, LOL..!!!

Sorry for the long message, want to make sure i take your expertise and make the right choice the first (well second) time. Your the man, thanks again for everything.

Glad to help. If you'd like to chat further, text me first and then I can call you. I don't accept unidentified calls. 520.574.8484

Boostedtres

Established Member
Willie --

Thanks for the intel and the willingness to help. I will def shoot you a text if I have any questions. It seems fairly straight forward, just cut the pipe, weld on the tips, and relocate the hangers/brackets.

Easiest is to cut up the JBA exhaust but want to keep that in case I wana sell.

I received a quote from one shop about 90mins from me, (they were extremely helpful and have done this before), but at approx 500 bucks, I could just buy a brand new CBE. So need to call around a little more.

Thanks again, hopefully pics and sound clips to come shortly!

Boostedtres

Established Member
that was the plan. gonna take them off next week and see how it sounds. i hace a catted X pipe so hoping it doesnt sound raspy and is a "good" loud. i will see.

Would love to go roush extreme CBE but its 2.5 and my x pipe is 3 and dont wana ditch the cats. Too bad they wont mate up.

Users who are viewing this thread