3 halfshafts, and they all leak...Any ideas?

n0xlf

Established Member
I'm on my third right halfshaft, and it is leaking like the first two...It isn't coming from the boot (even sealed it with silicone on this time around), but from where two different metal pieces join further to the wheel side from the boot...

It isn't a huge deal functionally, but it makes a mess out of the inside of the wheel...The left side has been fine...

Anyone else seen this or know of a fix/revised part?

BCM

Established Member
Been through this crap myself....the joint that is further out from the boot is nothing but a brass adapter ring, and it can be removed. With the ring gone and using a DSS inner bar, you can source the boot from a Chevy 4x4 pickup (93-98). keep in mind that the DSS bar is only 1 1/8" while the stock bar is quite a bit thicker (2" I think) so I'm not sure if the inner part of the boot will stretch that far. I think it would be worth a shot though.

n0xlf

Established Member
What I don't understand is why the other side is fine...Maybe it doesn't have any grease in it :)

I do have a feeling that I'm going to end up fabricating my own solution to this problem...

n0xlf

Established Member
As an update to this post, I found an SVT guy at Ford that was interested in my problem, so I emailed them these pics...If anyone else has this problem, let me know so I can include your story...They say they've never heard about it before...

PS - The grease you see on the inside of the wheel is from about 100 miles of driving...It was spotless before that...

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

H3.jpg

H4.jpg

03DOHC

Established Member
Could it be coming from the wheel bearing since you already changed the half shafts 3 times?

n0xlf

Established Member
The dealer replaced the bearing when they screwed up the replacement on the second half shaft, so I don't think that is it...

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by n0xlf
The dealer replaced the bearing when they screwed up the replacement on the second half shaft, so I don't think that is it...
That's the only two things in that area other than brake fluid. :shrug:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I have been struggling with this very same problem myself. I'm now on my fourth try at fixing the leak, and it still isn't sealed. I even had a local specialty shop assemble it one of my trys, but it still leaked. Sealing it w/ silicone was something I thought about trying next, so I really appreciate this info! I also wondered if it was brake fluid or grease coming from the tie rod end, but when I put a stock half shaft in there, the problem goes away, so I know it's neither of those two things.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Oh, and by the way, I'm also only having a problem with the one on the right side! Plus, on try number 2 (I think), I replaced the CV joint, too! I'm going to call my tech and discuss this with him today. I suppose I could try another joint, but I've been thinking I may upgrade to the level II's, or try the GKN's. I'm that fed up with this problem.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
nOxlf - heard anything back from your contact? (I can't believe they haven't heard of this. There have been several that have had this issue.)

I pulled my wheel off and checked mine. I really don't think it's leaking from the boot. There was no grease around the lip. But it didn't look like it was leaking where the gold piece meets the housing, either? And mine leaves these long streaks that run outward towards the edge of the wheel like in your bottom picture - but not the other round spots that yours seems to show. (Although that's probably just the different rim shapes.)

Last edited:

n0xlf

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Is the stuff leaking like a thick greensih grease of more of a thin oily residue?

It's thin and oily, as if it were brake fluid, but I took my tire off again last night and it really seems to be that joint pictured above...My theory on that is that maybe a component of the grease that is thinner separates out at the outer edges and seeps its way through...

I tightened my brake bleeder a bit and siliconed the half shaft joint, so we'll see what happens...Not sure how well the silicone is going to stick in the long run (although the ultracopper I used seemed to stick rather well), but this will at least be an interesting experiment in the mean time...

No word back from SVT yet - He said he passed it on to the engineers, so I'm sure it will take a bit...

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
pretty old thread, but i'm having the same problem. anyone have any ideas? i was just going to try all of the above myself

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
thats not cv joint grease in the picture. they call cv joint grease 'smurf poop' becuase its bright blue or slightly greenish, and its thick grease. what is pictured is brake fluid, or less likely given the amount, the grease from the wheel bearing having liquified. given that the bearing is sealed and there's no way to regrease it in the practical sense, there's simply too much residue, too often, in this context for that to be the case.

when you have a torn cv boot spitting cv joint grease out it, you KNOW it. the stuff gets everywhere, and its obvious what it is.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Both the knuckle bearing and the outer CV joint will weep some grease when you get them hot. Are you drag racing or open tracking the car?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
HISSMAN said:
I am thinking brake fluid as well.
This is my vote also. I had trouble getting the line fitting to seal at the caliper on one side a couple of times. If it's a slight leak it could slowly weep down and explain the residue by the end of the CV boot. The stuff in the picture does not look like the thick, blue grease in the joint.

Remove the fitting on the caliper and then rotate the copper washer some then re-tighten.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
jmproductions said:
Remove the fitting on the caliper and then rotate the copper washer some then re-tighten.

I believe those Copper Washers are considered a "One Time Use" item. I'm pretty sure in the Ford Manual it says to replace them if you remove the lines.

BTW If you go looking for replacements, the Ford ones are Thicker than the replacement ones you can buy at AutoZone, etc... I don't know if it makes any difference, but I ordered the correct ones from Ford.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread