3" Exhaust Question, Especially for Turbo Guys

CSG

Established Member
If the future calls for turbos go 3". The backpressure kills these cars. Even the Magnaflow 3" race kit kills my power.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Putting 3inch on my car as we speak. Will know something at end of day. I'm prepared with torch and ball peen hammer.
LOL..That's what I'm afraid of it taking to clearance right...

The size difference is pretty insane between 2.75 and 3in. I'm glad I went 3. Fitment was good with my MBRP v2 race. Unfortunately my JBA x pipe sucks for fitment(too narrow and long) so I won't have any videos until I get that altered. Until then it's the stock h pipe. It does drone with the stock H but it's not bad and I think it will be much better with the X.
Yeah that's a big difference though for sure. Hope the drone isnt a result of 3"...

I would get the Lethal OTA if I had to do it again. The extra flow and the ability to change mufflers when I want greatly out weighs anything that a 3" would give.
Interesting. To be honest I thought I'd get more responses like this..

If the future calls for turbos go 3". The backpressure kills these cars. Even the Magnaflow 3" race kit kills my power.
Definitely what I want to avoid..Really though is the source of the backpressure in the muffler and not the piping?

OveRBoreD

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the drone in this setup is from the stock Hpipe. When I had my roush/bullet setup I had to swap my stock H back on(because of fitment reasons) there was drone whereas with the 3in xpipe there was none. I definitely think when I get to swapping the X back on it will take care of most of the drone. For now it is tolerable. Also, MBRP sent some spacers for relocating the panhard bar brace on the drivers side. I didn't put them on but I'm sure that extra inch of clearance couldn't hurt.

WIPLASH1

Established Member
I have a stainless works 3" OR X with the manganflow 15176 3" kit which is the quadtip for the GT500 and I installed it before I left for work but couldn't finish. My good friend finished it up for me and said its "Ridiculous". So my plan now is try to get ahold of the magnaflow mufflers in the 15173 kit or install some Vbands in the mid section with bullet style mufflers to swap them out.
Same setup here, I'll be driving it today to see how bad it is. I had the setup NA and could only tolerate it for 1500 miles or so and I had to throw the stock '13 GT500 muff on.

If it's still NFG I plan on fabbing straight-thru mufflers into the x-pipe. There's enough room to make them about 16" long and I think the increased pressure ahead of the X will help with noise and drone compared to being at the tailpipes. I did this on my turbo 04 GT and it was perfect.

Coyote13

Established Member
3" magnaflow and 3" SS Lethal xpipe here. Im on coilovers a bit lower than sportlines(IMO) and the exhaust taps rattles and bangs around. After 3 attempts I got the mufflers to line up evenly but one side has a bounce to it. And they dont push in as far as I would like.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
3" magnaflow and 3" SS Lethal xpipe here. Im on coilovers a bit lower than sportlines(IMO) and the exhaust taps rattles and bangs around. After 3 attempts I got the mufflers to line up evenly but one side has a bounce to it. And they dont push in as far as I would like.
Hmm..Yeah this is the kind of thing that would drive me insane lol

Bingo, exactly why I chose Lethal's offroad H and their OTA pipes.
It looks like this is the route I'm headed..Went ahead and installed the Mag axleback today. Also sprayed just the back face of the mufflers black so the polished face doesn't stick out. This'll hold me for the time being...I'll go with the SS X-pipe and OTA pipes early next year with a tune.

Thanks for all the input guys :beer:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Do you know that I have never noticed the polished mufflers on the back of my car. It may be different for people driving behind me at night. During the day, you can't tell.

I plan to black mine out too.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I know what you're saying. The stock ones stick out like a sore thumb, but any aftermarket (except gt500 maybe) are noticably smaller in size. Either way I painted the back face of the Mag Street axleback since I kind of had in my head I'd just do it anyway, and besides it came all wrapped up in bubble wrap and I barely had to tape it off...

Users who are viewing this thread